cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to contact HMRC by phone?

cyrilclark1
Rising Star

How to contact HMRC by phone?

This morning I had three tries to contact HMRC by telephone.
Their voice recognition system is unbelievable!
Try it and see what I mean.
Has anyone ever managed to talk to a real live Income Tax official.
I ended up writing a letter to my tax office but I certainly won't hold my breath for a reply.
I bet they would soon be on to me if I owed tax!
Rant over - feel better now.
Angry

15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: How to contact HMRC by phone?

Which department did you want?
I applied for a NI refund a while back. They replied two months later with the wrong name/address spelling and asked me to resend the form because they said it looked like a photocopy (even though it had been filled in with a ballpoint blue pen!).
cyrilclark1
Rising Star

HMRC PAYE Helpline 0300 200 3300.
Community Veteran

Oh...I've had the displeasure of dealing with them.
I got various notices around this time last year that I soon have to start filing PAYE in realtime. So come April 2013, I was told to file realtime. I downloaded their RT Pay Tools software and it would not run on either a PC or Mac. After numerous calls to their Support Team, I eventually got it working. But it would not allow me to file any realtime PAYE (various errors). After being passed from department to department, I was eventually told that they had not set me up for PAYE Realtime and were not expecting me to start filing until December 2013. Well, it still doesn't work for me so I guess they will have to do without my realtime PAYE info!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Last time I tried I simply picked up the phone and dialled  Cheesy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
cyrilclark1
Rising Star

Fortunately, my query is not too important and only involves a small change (in my favour) of my personal allowance. I could sort it out at the end of the next financial year with a tax return form.
I feel very sorry for anyone who has something important to discuss.
Many years ago one could phone your tax office and speak to a human being.
Community Veteran

It's been a while since I last needed to phone HMRC but I had no problem in getting through to them. They even phoned me back once they looked into my query.
cyrilclark1
Rising Star

Some time ago, I think. Try again -  the new system is useless.

Community Veteran

Last April Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

It's been a while since I last needed to phone HMRC but I had no problem in getting through to them
Likewise, but again it was probably about a year ago. I got a new notice of coding and it was obviously wrong, they'd dropped off my company car. Got through in about 20 seconds ( on a Saturday morning! ) and got it sorted within a few minutes. Turned out the company accountant had not filled in the P11D properly ( had left the 'end' date blank ) and so they took that as me not having the car for the next tax year!. Once I explained I still had a company car and it was the same car as last year then it was instantly corrected and I got a new ( correct ) notice of coding over the phone and in the post a few days later.
Community Veteran

Generally I've had good service from HMRC but I have had a couple of major strops when they have lied and given me hassle in the past.
Fortunately, I had photocopies and photographic evidence of everything I sent them so they rapidly backed down when I challenged them.
itsme
Grafter

I had a problem a about 6 years ago which cropped up again a year later were someone with a same name and date of birth was given the same tax reference number as myself. Glad I could use a local tax office even though it's not involved in the mix up for them to find out the problem and try to fix as I spent a considerate amount of time in the office. I'm still worried that I will have problems as I was told that they just add notes to my records and not remove the incorrect data.
A couple of years later I got letters from another tax office if I knew the address of a couple of people who are associates of this other person with the same name, the local tax office was not interested this time.
Thunderclap
Grafter

Quote from: cyrilclark1

Tip: Every time 'Siri' asks you to speak, press the # key... eventually the system abends and puts you through to a real human by default, which is exactly what you wanted in the first place! Remember, this is a premium rated number, so you are paying them to get through to them.
A few years ago I received a letter from HMRC demanding that I paid them ZERO pounds and ZERO pence - or they would take legal proceedings and pass this onto a debt collection agency who, would charge me a fee for collecting the ZERO pounds and ZERO pence, plus interest at some 'wonga' rate. After a *WEEK* of being stuck in a phone queue, I found a plain speaking guy somewhere in Newcastle who told me they were having "real difficulties" with their new IT System as it "didn't work like the old one." He suggested I sent them a cheque for 0.00p just to "see if that worked."

Community Veteran

I had to ring PAYE this morning as they had issued me with the wrong tax code (again). Despite my accountants already filing my tax return and me paying my tax by BACS, HMRC issued me with a 2013-14 tax code that was deducting some of the tax I had already paid from my personal allowance.
I went through the same number the OP used and got through in 5 mins. Spoke to a woman who acknowledged the problem and re-issued me with a new tax code. Simple!
cyrilclark1
Rising Star

Quote from: Thunderclap
Quote from: cyrilclark1

Tip: Every time 'Siri' asks you to speak, press the # key... eventually the system abends and puts you through to a real human by default, which is exactly what you wanted in the first place! Remember, this is a premium rated number, so you are paying them to get through to them.

Thanks for that Thunderclap - if I get no answer to my letter I shall try what you suggested.