cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to complain about an insurance companys failure?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

How to complain about an insurance companys failure?

I recently changed my car insurance company (to the same company) but even though I called them saying I wasn't renewing my cover on that policy, they sent me a letter saying that the DD wasn't being paid, so I emailed them back saying NO 'cause I have not renewed!
Today they sent me a letter saying I was in DEFAULTCrazy
After spending nearly an hour on the phone, and only getting the "we are sorry we made a mistake" message I got really annoyed  Shocked and demanded some compensation  Tongue They refused  Shocked
So how do I go about complaining about this treatment from them, I will NOT be renewing next year even if they are the cheapest. Angry
7 REPLIES
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: How to complain about an insurance companys failure?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

My insurance company never sent me a renewal notice a month before the Direct Debit was due. (or else it was lost in the post) .When I checked my bank account the money had been taken out and at that stage it was more expensive to cancel the insurance than go to another company.
I will make sure I never get caught like this again !
Community Veteran

I got the letter informing me that I had renewed BEFORE I got the renewal, it was at that point I phoned to CANCEL but they didn't action it  Crazy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Well I had a claim last year which finished this year. They made a total bodge of it so I decided to get tough on them.
i sent them a complaint in excess of 10 pages, detailed with dates, photos etc, every little bit of undisputable evidence I could lay my hands on. I even made them easy to track the stages of the complaint as it was being handled.
They send me numerous letters saying they were taking it seriously, needed more time etc. Then the last letter just included a leaflet for the ombudsman while still saying they're dealing with it.
Well I've not heard a thing back now in over 4 months. Ombudsman time it is but before that I'm about to fire off one more letter to them and ask them for their final stance on my complaint. At that point my case against them for mal-administration of the policy is very strong and a friend of mine who knows his stuff has assured me that the ombudsman will be quite harsh with them.
First step guys, write that letter and email, post and get it signed for etc. Once they reply to you you've got them nailed to the wall if they don't deal with it properly.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
magnetism2772
Grafter

if you can prove you phoned to cancel the policy
ie go through your itemized calls for that period you called
and find in it there the company cancellation number is itemized / that you phoned
and with/or /including  that any proof of taking out any similar insurance
with a new company the day when their  policy ran out(ie they dont  cover  )
as you have to opt out of these schemes
you have the tools to write to them with a complaint include all your petty cash cost
Community Veteran

Just went to the BT web site to check my itemised calls, and guess what they DON'T record calls to 0800's  Crazy Cry
If I had used the 0844 number it would have been on it (at 7p/min) but since I used saynoto0870 & the 0800 number it isn't on it Roll eyes
So I have no proof I cancelled it  Embarrassed
Community Veteran

Are you saying the matter has now been resolved?  If so I would write to the CEO of the company expressing disappointment at the lack of service you have received and ask for compensation for the time you have wasted in dealing with it.  I don't think the ombudsman is likely to do anything if it's been sorted.