Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to avoid the swear filter - article about the iPad mini strip down

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

How to avoid the swear filter - article about the iPad mini strip down

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/01/ipad_mini_teardown/
Teardown It's no wonder why the iPad mini assemblers at Foxconn rioted – its innards are fiendishly complex and tightly packed.
Well, to be honest, we don't really know if the iPad mini's complexity contributed to those Chinese workers dissatisfaction, but if what the tool-parts-and-repair folks at iFixit discovered when they disassembled Apple's $329-and-up shrunken fondleslab, we can certainly imagine more than one of them saying, "我忍无可忍,我不打算把它了!"
Unfortunately Google Translate showed it to be rather innocuous
I no longer tolerate, I do not intend to put it
Despite El Reg claiming this
* Bootnote
That would be Simplified Chinese for "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!" – well, according to Google Translate, at least.
4 REPLIES
David_W
Rising Star

Re: How to avoid the swear filter - article about the iPad mini strip down

The problem there is you're using Google to translate from English to Chinese, and then turn the Chinese back in to English so you get into the wonderful world of Translation.  "I'm mad as hell" could translate to "I can no longer tolerate this" or, if you put in the Chinese 我忍无可忍,我不打算把它了!and click on the English translation you can change it to "last straw".
It's the problem with literal translations, you'll come across it a lot with weird Japanese that has no real direct translation to English so we give it a best guess (yoroshiku for instance means different things depending on the circumstances) and when you look at English, the same is true, lets use the word "live".  The band is live.  I want to live.  That red wire, it's live.  So how do you translate "live" into another language when it has so many different meanings depending on the way you want to use it?
So, no, translations generally suck and you'll only really ever get a good translation from a person who is fluent in both languages who can say "ahh, right, no, you used 生きる which you use for "I want to live" when really you want 住まう for "I live there".
Fixes: 104

Either way the iPad mini display is awful..
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

So... "According to Jim"...... you can avoid the swear filter by using chinese characters, which may, or may not, mean what you originally intended, but there again, that would breach another forum rule of using ENGLISH language.  Roll eyes
Oops... !  Cheesy Embarrassed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Lips are sealed Lips are sealed Grin