Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Kill a Forum

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

How to Kill a Forum

No not this one. Though it's far from perfect it's still functional and easy to understand and use.

I'm talking about the ebay forum. The looks and layout has changed completely. It now looks like the BT one which I guess in itself is a bit of a worry.

Its white, spread out layout means it's hard to find things of interest so just browsing is next to impossible.

The killer is adding to a thread no longer pops it back to the top of the list. So as in this forum, or as their forum used to be, a current ongoing problem naturally stayed near the top for users to see and read of what was happening, or of any solutions. They've had a few problem threads that have been going on for several months or more. These are now dozens of pages down where no one is going to bother looking.

While I can see their point of view in not wanting their failings and lack of action prominently displayed, in the end it's a mistake. All it means is users keep repeating the same questions. Many usual helpers/advisers have given up. And in the end it will just make their phone lines very busy.

All in all a very short sighted change. Something I hope they would never do here.

11 REPLIES 11
jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 71

Re: How to Kill a Forum

Never had cause to look, @billnotben  as I don't buy or sell much on there, but I'm sure some whizz-kid has been instructed to 'improve' the forum, and that's their idea of improvement - a bit like the current 'improvements' on the support side of this place.

John
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Never even knew they had a forum!

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
billnotben
Community Veteran

I buy and sell a fair bit on ebay so the forum is a necessity to see what the latest glitch is.

Even though I've been banned there for more than a decade.

jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 71

Who did you upset, @billnotben - one of the mods?🤣

John
billnotben
Community Veteran

It used to be very cliquey on there. A lot more than now. And the chief mod/ebay pink used to join in, even to the point of some name calling. Which of course resulted in a little retaliation, nothing nobody would blink at on here. But it resulted in a lot of bans which was really not on.

If BT creeps in more I expect this forum will end up looking the same.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@billnotben wrote:

If BT creeps in more I expect this forum will end up looking the same.

Luckily we got in a flap about that a while back 🤣

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
dvorak
Fixes: 1,167

BT use the same platform as here with a different skin.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
billnotben
Community Veteran

That was the root of my problem on ebay forums.

I'm a bit thick skinned while the ebay mods were a bit thin skinned.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I don't bother with the ebay forum if i'm honest, i have used it once or twice over the years but i don't actively visit it or want to use it.

Some forums are just full of power hungry nutters for mods. I've been on several where you literally mention one particular word (not a foul one) or accidentally post in the wrong forum and they ban you on the spot for it. I just can't see the point of that.

I think it's quite clear that as BT slowly assimulate plusnot, they will transfer their own mods here or we'll all be moved over to their mods there and that'll be that. We might get to keep our mods as i suspect their paperwork was signed with BT anyway (thats who it came from when they were recruiting trial users for this lithium forum so plusnet is basically confirmed as BT with a different skin).

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

I just sold my homing pigeon on ebay for the 23rd time. 😆

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Many Happy Returns  ? ? ?   but... of course... being a "Business User".... you will also have to make your Tax Returns, regarding your recurring increase in trade, income and profits....  Cool