16 REPLIES
Shep41
Rising Star

Re: How to Build a Shed

And a woman to tell you how to put it together 🤣🤣🤣
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Shep41 Indeedy !... she will have the instructions and be able to shed some light onto it all ! 

Shep41
Rising Star

And don't forget a woman is always right 😄😄😅
Pete11
Pro
Fixes: 3

There's a few things missing from that list...

Beers.

Plasters.

Bandages.

More beers.

Swear box.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran

Hold on a second!!! Homebase? They're still going?? Last one I saw was about 5 years ago, and they bulldozed it & plopped a new Morrisons store over it's site... Funny

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

TBH we all laugh but you will be surprised the amount of people who get the simple common sense DIY jobs wrong Crazy2

I no longer work , But its odd how many people come here to ask to check measurements Undecided

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
agedgopher
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

@twocvbloke

Yes, Homebase rumbles on. They were put up for sale last year and were bought by an Australian company called Buddings, I believe.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I think its Bunnings. My local Homebase has recently been changed to one. It is so comprehensively stocked with goods they have printed a store plan so you can find your way round it. I could spend all day in there and still not come out with what I went in for.

Ah! but how many shed-builders will it take to change the light-bulb you of course fitted?.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Last time I built a shed, I used:
Loads of scrap timber floor boards
Loads of 3" nails
several lengths of 4x4 for uprights.
Circular saw & wood saw + various other tools

Total cost was about £5 in fuel to collect the boards, then about a day to remove all the nails and cut and assemble.
That shed lasted for about 5 years till I needed a larger one to hold my motorbike.
Fixes: 47

Now that's what building a shed means Thumbs Up not bolting 4 walls together and slapping on a roof.

Thank you @HairyMcbiker

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Yep the real difference is BUILDING vs ASSEMBLING
I disassembled & re-assembled the new shed, I built the old one.
Highlighted
Fixes: 125

Strat wrote:

Now that's what building a shed means Thumbs Up not bolting 4 walls together and slapping on a roof.

I remember helping my dad build a shed from scratch back in the late sixties/early seventies based on one my granddad build around 15 years earlier. Somewhere my mum must still have the photos of its progress.

He drew up some basic plans, made measurements, built a sturdy base, bought the wood, and all other materials, it had a pointed roof with felt on etc. two large windows and included a work bench inside with a vice and was built exactly how he wanted. And it had lighting and power points.

It stood for around 17 years until the hurricane of '87 when the roof was relocated to the top of the school over the roadFunny

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 47

I have two sheds in my garden, one of which is about 25 years old.

The other one is around 38 years old and was in our previous property for 14 years before being dismantled and moved to our current property.

I recently replaced the entire rear wall of this shed for a cost of around £60.

A longer term project will be removal of both sheds to be replaced with just the one 8 x 6 shed.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

There's two sheds out in the garden here, both built by someone who was short, and not very good with a spirit level, not to mention completely unaware of sealant when they later added corrugated sheeting over the back-shed's roof which leaks like a sieve and is presently being held up by a clay plantpot (my bodge to stop the roof collapsing!), and the side-shed's roof is bowed so much that it's close to collapse from the pond that's formed on top...Crazy2

Don't know how old they are, but it'd be surprising if they last another couple of years before the ravages of the elements take them out, no point trying to shore them up, parts are too far gone that it'd take a rebuild to fix them, but I haven't the resources to make that happen...Grin

I did assemble a flat-pack shed a few years ago in the yard though, that needs new roof felt as that got blown off one side of the roof last week, but I want to take that shed apart again and repair & reassemble it out in the garden, just need to work up the level of botheredness to get on and do it... Crazy2