cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How times change.. and then come back round..

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

How times change.. and then come back round..

The early mobile phones were like bricks right? - Big long black aerials, big handset...
Then came the PAYG phone that meant everyone could finally get a mobile phone without worrying about expensive phone bills. That meant mobiles were in reach of virtually everyone.. and with that cam the race to make them smaller and lighter.
So.. we then got tiny mobile phones. Super slim, lighter than ever batteries...
Then came the smart phone with touch screens. Naturally everyone wanted a bigger and better screen and so the phones got bigger again.
Now today, i caught up with an old friend of mine. He showed me his expensive samsung phone. He says he uses it so much that he only gets a few hours out of it before it needs a recharge. He opened his back and showed me this massive battery / plug in recharger thing that his phone can recharge from and then proceeded to boast that its so big and powerful it can recharge his phone 8 times and recharge other phones at the same time as his.
Brilliant! But what was the flaming point of it all in the first place then?  Crazy
Big phone & big battery => Small Phone & little battery => big phone & small battery => even bigger external battery.
It really makes no sense at all. Not really a very mobile phone if you end up carrying a seperate battery pack is it  Roll eyes
/rant
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: How times change.. and then come back round..

That's an easy one, phones remained stupid for a couple of decades (as in could only call and text, maybe "browse the web" via WAP, which never worked), then they added features, HD colour screens, an actual OS, and now they're just basically a handheld computer with a phone built into it... Grin
They ain't mobiles no more, they's computers... Grin
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up
The early mobile phones were like bricks right? - Big long black aerials, big handset...

When I dig out old phones like the Nokia 6310i & 3310 which at the time seemed big and heavy.
Now they look and feel more like good sized compact phones.
Community Veteran

I used to have a Nokia 8310, smallest mobile phone I ever owned, loved that phone too cos it was tiny, but just decided one day that switching on was just too much hard work, so died a death for no reason... Undecided
Still have a 3310 somewhere round here too, think that was my first phone that I bought outright myself, 2nd hand of course, and modded with red LEDs which to be honest looks just awful... Grin
PowerLee
Rising Star

My first phone was a Nokia 1620 on the One2One network.
The good thing about it was the battery would last several days.
The bad things about where the weight, the sim card was the size of a credit card, you had a whopping 5 ring tones to choose from, there was no text function & when it did finally arrive when your carrier activated it at first you couldn't even text between different networks.
If you gave a young person a working mobile phone from 20 years ago & told them they had to use it instead of there smart phone for a week, I don't know how they would cope  Grin
Community Veteran

I echo that comment about SMS's between networks.
My second phone was a Nokia 5110 with a battery life that was more than 250 hours. In those days a phone was, was a phone and beggar all else.
Now, I carry a chunky PDA with internet access, email, browser, camera, diary, currency monitor, spirit level, atlas, GPS, etc etc etc and "Oh Yes, I can also make phone calls on it!".  Cheesy Grin Cheesy
Geoff,
York.
PowerLee
Rising Star

I always said I would never get a smart phone, then about 3 years ago I finally had to replace my dying 7 year old dumb phone so went with my first smart one ( it was on offer at the time )
I do find all the extra things a smart phone can do are pretty useful, battery life could be better but I'm sure in years to come battery technology will improve.
Community Veteran

Necessity is the mother of Invention!  Wink
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

My last "Dumb phone" Was a Nokia 5300 slidey job, also still have that somewhere, and while using that I never thought there was any reason to get a smartphone, then while browsing Three's website I happened upon their "The One Plan" tariff which was unlimited data (inc. tethering! Now it's not the case sadly as people abused it and downloaded terabytes of data a month over their networks), and as at the time I was using mobile broadband to get online, it seemed the smart choice to get that so I could save some money that I was spending on my USB 3G stick data, and thus I had my Samsung Galaxy S, Three have scrapped that plan now though, so there was little incentive to upgrade to my S5 from my S3, but had to anyway as my S3 was getting slower to operate every day, almost as if they had snuck in a "death clock" to make it less useable.........