Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How things change.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

How things change.

Looking after our two small grandchildren at the moment when their Mam voice phoned our mobile to see how they were. Handed it over for them to talk and they just stared at the screen - so we had to show them how to hold the phone to their ears... and listen.

How things change, and whatever next :rolleyes:

7 REPLIES 7
wotsup
Champion

Re: How things change.

My brother's grandson ( my great nephew ) is now 4, but between ages 2 and 4 considered every phone call was for him and would kick up a right old tantrum if he didn't get the phone, but then he would babble into it, not a clue what he was trying to say. Got so bad I would not phone brother when I knew that he was looking after him. Sometimes if it was a nuisance call my brother would hand him the phone and let him babble at the call centre guy....very amusing.   May be that some kids more used to playing with screens than getting voice calls.

idonno
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@Minivanman wrote:Handed it over for them to talk and they just stared at the screen - so we had to show them how to hold the phone to their ears... and listen.

How things change, and whatever next :rolleyes:

:grin: How quaint! The wife does that too (stares at the screen). But more often than not, nowadays, her calls are video calls. She tends to put it on speaker as well, so she can still do things while going around the house. I mean would you chat to someone while they are doing the washing up? And you can see them doing it. :crazy2:

Ever helpful. :grin: Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Fixes: 347

I used to walk the half mile from work into town on a Saturday to do a bit of shopping.

I passed a block of flats on the way and always there was this guy with a mobile phone in his hand, pacing around the entrance to the flats, speaking with someone.

What amused me was the fact that he held the phone at arms length at about waist height which mean he shouted at the phone. I knew he was there before I saw him as I could hear him two streets away.

Fortunately the conversations weren't of a private and personal nature, more like a time and place of a meeting.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 70.0.1 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

At least with a phone held to your ear or even wearing those small headphones you can look where you are going, now folks are fixated on the screen...

Still, as was discussed in a similar topic recently, if you walk into a lamppost and injury yourself it'll be that and not you that finds itself in court - which is how it should be.:rolleyes:

Meanwhile, this morning the little ones are trying to dress themselves with one hand while holding their Kindle in the other.

wotsup
Champion

The modern world was summed up for me when we were staying in a Premier Inn in Exeter last year.  We were sitting down to breakfast when a family of four ( Mom and dad and son about 10, daughter about 14 ) sat close by.  Both adults had mobiles which they placed on the table as though they were expecting an important call from the prime minister and each of the kids had a phone and a tablet - they were engrossed in the tablets all through 'breakfast' - their mom and dad went to the self-service buffet for food and brought their own and the kids food back ( the kids were old enough to get their own food, but obviously could not leave their tablets long enough to get some ) - nobody was talking at the table and the kids carried on messing with their tablets and left the food untouched ( no doubt as soon as the car got moving they would complain they were hungry and needed to eat 'NOW' ).

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

My grandchildren already can't, honestly... well apart from the TV remote. :rolleyes:

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@wotsup 

One of my grandchildren is really fussy (yeh, I know) and hates eating, crust so it was quite something last week to see him trying to eat baguette from the inside out!

Funny and annoying at the same time - and grandad here having to keep in zipped. :lipsrsealed: