Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How the Olympics will screw us for 12 weeks

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

How the Olympics will screw us for 12 weeks

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-14973203
Work on a £5.7m road scheme in Dorset is under way despite complaints from local businesses.
The development of A31 Canford Bottom roundabout, near Wimborne, is being done ahead of the 2012 Olympic sailing events in Weymouth and Portland.
Small businesses which will be affected by road closures claim it could lead to job losses.
The Highways Agency said it aims to minimise disruption during the development.
The work is expected to take nine months to complete with some roads set to close for up to 12 weeks.
The scheme is to include the construction of a dual carriageway through the middle of the roundabout to link the A31 trunk road.
This so-called "hamburger" junction will have about 70 traffic lights to control the traffic from the A31 and four adjoining local roads.
About 20 small businesses, including those in the nearby Ferndown Industrial Estate where 1,600 people work, will be affected by closures while the work is carried out.
These are the diversion routes and the section of the A348 shown circled - about 1.4 miles long - is regularly bottlenecked at rush hour now. Not to mention the effect on Wimborne traffic. I am just glad I am retired as getting to work would have been an absolute nightmare
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: How the Olympics will screw us for 12 weeks

Another good reason for living up North !
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
These are the diversion routes and the section of the A348 shown circled - about 1.4 miles long - is regularly bottlenecked at rush hour now. Not to mention the effect on Wimborne traffic.

So the work will be an improvement in the long term?
Community Veteran

Very doubtful as the major holdup is holiday traffic on a Friday afternoon Saturday morning and they didn't model that.
Note that the dual carriageway section of the A31 will only extend for about 50 metres either side of the roundabout
I did discuss it with the Traffic Engineer at Dorset County Council and he also thought that it was a waste of time
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

In sunny London the Ambulance Service will have to reroute its vehicles delivering emergency patients to the Royal London ER Dept. This is a consequence of the Olympic Lanes and road closures.
Transport for London is appealing to normal working folk in the area  not to use the London Underground in the area. Apparently it will inconvenience the Olympic visitors.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Agreed Glen - I'm glad I will be 450 odd miles away - but I hope that the transport infrastructure it leaves behind is beneficial to the locals.
mal
nadger
Rising Star

We were staying with a French family, on the Vendee, in 2005 when it was announced that London had beaten Paris for 2012 Olympics.
I remember saying sorry to Omer whose immediate reaction was that they wouldn't have to fund it from their taxes  Cool
Community Veteran

If you think Dorset will have problems think about London Sad
Community Veteran

This isn't while the Olympics are on this is rushing the roundabout changes through for the Olympic traffic and causing havoc to local traffic for 3 months
Community Veteran

Sorry I misunderstood. Undecided
Community Veteran

The Olympics will be a free for all excuse for "visitors" to arrive but forget to leave after the tax funded show is over.
Any bets on which Olympic teams will claim asylum or just vanish.
Maybe our MP's can keep an eye out as they and their hangers on will probably get all the best seats.