cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How should the EU regulate e-cigarettes?

Steve
Seasoned Pro

How should the EU regulate e-cigarettes?

That Is the burning question on everyone's lips. At last an MEP has paved the way for public debate and asking for our suggestions.
Well done Rebecca Taylor Smiley
Check out her blog, the comments section is open...http://rebeccataylormep.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/how-should-eu-regulate-e-cigarettes.html
22 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: How should the EU regulate e-cigarettes?

As a non smoker anything that gets people to reduce or stop smoking has to be a good thing providing that this is something they want to do and that the use of e cigarettes does not have a detrimental effect on non smokers in the same environment.
Equally it's good news that research/questions are being raised in respect of e-cigarettes so that users are fully informed of any issues regarding their use.
nadger
Rising Star

As a non smoker I persuaded SWMBO to stop smoking in the car and use E-Lites.
They do work well and are cheaper than buying cigs in UK.
Even in hospital use has not been challenged  Cool
David_W
Rising Star

Reading between the lines:
Smoker pays £2000 a year tax on their ciggies
Smoker goes ex and uses e-ciggies
Minister wants to claw back that £2000 asap so uses "health" as a reason (or "think of the children!")
Smoker finds they are not saving as much so goes back to smoking
Smoker pays £2000 a year tax on their ciggies
Maybe I'm getting cynical in my old age?
Steve
Seasoned Pro

That Is one way of looking at It, big T and big Pharma and the E.U are more the problem at the minute. Our government has not outright banned them which Is a good sign but there Is a battle waging on behind the public eye at the Min as to the future of the e-cig and Its a battle I hope we win, as an e-cig user myself they have been a blessing, for the first time in my entire adult life I've been of the real ciggies for over 8 month with no ill affects and that Inc weight gain etc.

Edit..Added clarification.
Razer
Grafter

Do you really get the satisfaction from them that you do from cigarettes? I can't imagine it myself. Smoking enjoyment isn't just about getting nicotine. And are they really cheaper? I wasn't even aware of them existing, let alone seeing them on sale anywhere.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Do you really get the satisfaction from them that you do from cigarettes? Yes I do anyway.
And are they really cheaper? Not Initially no but they can be, besides when It comes to your health you cant put a price on It.
I wasn't even aware of them existing. Neither was I until 8 months ago  Cheesy
nadger
Rising Star

E-Lites do work out cheaper than Uk purchased cigs not that SWMBO buys any as we buy in Belgium.
Would prefer to not shop there but unlikely SWMBO will pack up  Cry
Razer
Grafter

Quote from: Steve_M
And are they really cheaper? Not Initially no but they can be, besides when It comes to your health you cant put a price on It.

I don't factor health into the cost. So how much do these things cost, actually? I smoke between 15 and 40 a day, rollies. I can't imagine, even at minimum, they would work out cheaper than a pouch of baccy for the week. And how do they come; is it like you get a packet of 20 or something. Or is it just one with some kind of vial of 'the goods' with a certain amount of 'draws' on it?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Steve_M
At last an MEP has paved the way for public debate and asking for our suggestions.

Slightly OT here but yes, well done to that member. They should ALL be doing this and representing US instead of themselves and their business chums.
Anyway when it comes to fags, it's a big problem to stamp them out completely. One major problem is how hollywood films like die hard continue to promote smoking as the "hard mans" thing to do. Consequently this is then seen by the gullable young men of the UK as being something you do is you want to be respected. Now hollywood have been cutting down on this it would seem however there are still far too many films out there produced years ago that have ciggies in them that still end up on our screens regularly. When cigs become a social taboo, they will start to fade out naturally. As with anything, when you promote it (especially on screen) people see it as something to copy.
I've never personally smoked and never even been tempted however I've known plenty of smokers and I've noticed they all share one thing in common and that seems to be the social aspect of smoking - eg smoking breaks, borrowing fags etc and it is all acceptable because it is socially accepted. If cigs carried the same sort of stigma that heroin or even chewing gum carries then I'm sure the numbers would start to drop. Of course you'd still have the hard core that carry on but thats the same with anything.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Steve
Seasoned Pro

So how much do these things cost, actually? It varies widely and depends what your after or want from It, here Is my costs.
Pack Of 5 cartomisers ( blank ) £5.00
50ml e-liquid around ( £15.00 ) will last me a month.
Battery Initial cost varies but for one where performance matters a decent one will set you back anywhere from £10.00-£200.00 ( Yes that's 200 hundred lol.
So I use a battery that cost me £13.00 odd and will last me for months. I fill up the blank cartomisers with my e-liquid that I purchased. All In I think I spend around a fiver a week.
nadger
Rising Star

This is where I got SWMBO's. Never paid full price as they have offers.
www.E-Lites.co.uk
For reference we pay about £5 for 50g Golden Virginia which makes 60 cigs using tubes.
Fixes: 125

SWMBO got hers from VIP.
She used the zero nicotine ones. I just asked and she did get satisfaction from them. She actually gave up completely after using them a short time but has recently started smoking 'real' cigarettes again  Cry

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Sounds like she done so well Mav  she should of went back to the VIP before the real deal?
Fixes: 125

Yes. She actually gave up for two years (2008-2010) cold turkey. She was offered a cigarette at my dad's funeral which started her off for another 9 months or so till she got the e-cig. She only used the e-cig for a few months before giving up again
Don't know why she started again but she goes to a local Russian shop now where she can get the thin and light ones she liked from back home.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still