cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How secure is your password/s?

Leapy
Aspiring Pro

How secure is your password/s?

I have too many passwords to remember so, I'm thinking of using a password manager like True Key. Although I'm not 100% sure it would work for all passwords, that have an image, like the NS&I 
Does anyone use it or can anyone recommend another one?

I found this password tester so, you may like to type a similar password to one of yours  to this to see how secure it may be? https://howsecureismypassword.net/ 
I've also noticed that if you just type say "k" just keep on doing it and see how long it takes to crack when the string is say 20 "k"s long,"kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk" so ....size is important.Wink
The pub is two minutes from my home, although my home is two hours from the pub,
22 REPLIES
Pete11
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: How secure is your password/s?

Mine are very safe. Wifey has them, and if you're brave enough to tackle her for them, then good luck.  Grin

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran

It's a good question, and I am having the same problem.

I have too many to remember, but I wouldn't trust anything on-line at all. What if they got hacked? They might use encryption in their database or may not. Even if they do that can be cracked, look at how many high profile cases there have been. I had to change a password from my domain registration company as their database got hacked and the password weren't encrypted Roll eyes

May as well do the job yourself, and that's what I am doing. Create an Excel spreadsheet with them in, store it somewhere with it password protected. Then at least you only have to remember one to access all the others.

Steve
Pro

I use KeepassX on my PC. Nothing uploaded everything stored locally, it's cross platform  https://www.keepassx.org/

Leapy
Aspiring Pro

@Alex exactly what I do with Excel but I add clues and some capitals and miss out a few letters, For example if I use "Wandsworth" it maybe the address of a flat at West Hill Road so "1A42whrsw186SR" 

The pub is two minutes from my home, although my home is two hours from the pub,
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

All my passwords are stored on my laptop (Firefox Password manager), and I keep a hardcopy, just in case the laptop dies.

As regards security of the individual account passwords, for any sensitive ones(banking, Plusnet, energy accounts &c), they are intentionally set to that organisations maximum recommendation's, but where cracking a password wouldn't allow access to anything other than, say, my Funtrivia account, these are merely 8 - 10 random character strings - different for every account, though.

John
Baldrick1
Pro
Fixes: 9

You can install Keypass on a memory stick. That way you keep nothing on your computer.

Community Veteran

Leapy wrote:
I found this password tester so, you may like to type a similar password to one of yours  to this to see how secure it may be? https://howsecureismypassword.net/

The cynical part of me (about 95% of me) can't help but think that site must be a great way to steal passwords under the pretence of offering to see how secure they are, which they won't be if they're harvesting passwords from people... Crazy

Champnet
Rising Star

Don't know what algorithm they use, if any, to forecast crack times but they are way out....

I reckon it's just a ploy to sell their product.

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 65

@jab1, I'd suggest you set a master password for Firefox if you haven't already. Failure to do this makes it trivial for anyone with access to your browser to extract all of your passwords in plain text. It takes seconds.
Personally, I use LastPass. Yes it's cloud-based, and not been without its share of problems, but I have confidence in their encryption methods and my master account password is protected with 2 factor authentication - requiring a code from the smart watch on my wrist as well as the password to decrypt my credentials.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

@bobpullen master password set, but the chance of anyone getting to my browser (physically) is almost zero - there's only me and the cat in the house.Smiley

John
Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Idling, I put a long (theoretical) passcode into that site. It was something like gutsik28051937. According to the site that would take 5000 years to break, but were the string  one less in length the time to crack would reduce too 100 years.

Not being a mathematician I do not understand how that can be with such a minor amendment to the string.

Like @Champnet I'm suspicious unless someone can explain.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 65

If your cat is anything like my two, I wouldn't put it past them Evil

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Fixes: 123

Most of my passwords are simply committed to memory which, so far, has not been hacked.

I have simple ones for non-financial sites like forums, etc and complex ones for the rest. I have them saved in a password-protected rar file but locally and on-line if I ever do need to refer to any but, so far, my memory rarely fails me.Cool

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I've been using Last pass for several years, I tried the others, but didn't like the way they interacted with the browser. I find it easy to use on the PC, a bit harder on Android, in that it isn't as easy to access the password list, so it sometimes offers the wrong user/password combo.

It also makes form filling a lot easier.