cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How old is your heart - a test for worry worts

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

How old is your heart - a test for worry worts

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/11457774/Official-NHS-calculator-predicts-when-you-will-...
In my case despite having healthy cholesterol and weight with only a slightly elevated blood pressure my heart is 10 years older than I am
Checking - there are two factors which push it up in approximately equal amounts
Blood pressure 135
Taking blood pressure reducing pills
Interesting - my GP thinks my blood pressure is fine
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: How old is your heart - a test for worry worts

I did one of those surveys things about 10 years ago, it reckoned I would DIE 3 years ago. Go figure eh?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I did one of these a number of years ago, according to the results this year will be my last so if I stop posting you will know it was correct.
Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

My thoughs are that it doesn`t matter how old your body is... every new day is the first day of the rest of your life..... so go ahead... enjoy it...

it could also be the last of the present life ... Smiley
Community Veteran

It shows my heart is 4 years older than I am. I didn't have my cholesterol values so will have another go when I get them.
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

Well - according to that, my heart age is the same as my true age, but as I don't know my BP or  cholesterol values, it's a bit meaningless. I'm due for a check-up in May, so I'll know my BP, but as for  cholesterol i don't really want to know - to me, it's one those factors which seem to mean whatever the current 'received wisdom' dictates.
John
Fixes: 125

Similar result as jab1. I have always had a slightly lower than normal blood pressure but no idea of cholesterol.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I'm 1 year older than my heart, but considered to be obese?  Shocked
Go figure!  Undecided
Geoff,
York.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

it said this test is no use for me  Wink
well its quite right after 5 heart attacks , and last week had fitted a Coronary sinus reducer .
my heart obviously has passed its sell by date  Roll eyes
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran

Wow!! You've certainly had some heart trouble. I hope everything last week went well for you Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Interesting - my GP thinks my blood pressure is fine 

My systolic is 150 and likewise my GP says it's fine at my age. I was always told that it's the bottom line (diastolic) that's the important one, because it indicates the degree of resistance to blood flow in your system. If you're well furred-up you will have a high diastolic. The systolic goes up and down like a yoyo depending on your degree of stress/relaxation/panic/sheer terror! haha.
beeceegee
Rising Star

Quote from: nozzer
My systolic is 150 and likewise my GP says it's fine at my age.

They've really become more strict on blood pressure. 10 years or so ago I was at around 140/90, which GP reckoned not worth treating. 5 years later, with no change, they decided a low dose water tablet would probably be beneficial. These days I am usually around the classic 120/80, sometimes lower; now this app is saying 120 is still on the high side. I certainly notice if it goes lower - get very woozy if I stand up quickly
And obese at 5' 10"  & 13st? Overweight yes, obese I don't think so
Age 60, Heart age 71. Been nice meeting you all  Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

My heart's still ticking away like a nicely tuned engine, so everything's fine... Cool
Bodywork's a bit rough though... Grin
Steve
Seasoned Pro

My heart is  three years older that me but I didn't have important values like blood pressure and  cholesterol but I'm satisfied with the result. Can I sue them if they are wrong?
beeceegee
Rising Star

Cheesy GREAT NEWS  Cheesy
Took a blood pressure reading this morning and it was 110/70. Coupled with an educated guess as to my cholesterol level (I've been told it is "within limits") and my "Heart Age" is down from 71 to 60, so it's back in tune with the rest of me
Another thing I noticed about this app - yesterday it gave me a bmi >32 and said I am obese. Today it didn't mention bmi at all. Six years ago, when I was about 4kg heavier, my bmi was measured as 27 = overweight  Undecided