cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How often do you spring clean your PC?

Fixes: 125

How often do you spring clean your PC?

Was discussing on another forum for video editing the benefits of keeping a clean PC hardware-wise.
I used to open the case around once a year and give things a good spring clean. Now I do it about every 6 months but even then there is plenty of dust inside which, left unchecked would clog the fans.
I tend to use the pipe from the vacuum cleaner on the lowest suction and some cotton buds lightly moist to get some of the stubborn dirt out.
Also re-seat all components and ensure all fans are working correctly.
Probably be a lot worse if we had pets (another reason for not having any - but that's another thread Wink)
When was the last time you gave yours a good scrub?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

23 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: How often do you spring clean your PC?

I don't
I just clean the intake filter
The above only applies to my computer which has a proper case. For my better half's unit where the case was selected on the basis that it was neat and small I clean it out about every 4 months but I never reseat components on the basis that if it is working don't meddle
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

With my previous PCs I used to do it every 5 - 6 months religiously. These were machines that I'd built, salvaged, repaired, been given via freecycle etc. None of them were high end / performance machines but they were decent enough for me so I used to do me best to keep them clean and the heat down.
My current two machines (netbook and an emachine) I've never bothered with. The netbook is too small / frail for me to want to bother with (I dismantled a laptop years ago and cracked the screen). The emachine was until recently under warranty so I had to leave that alone for a year anyway. Now I'm not sure I can bothered really but I suppose I'll have to have it apart shortly and introduce it to he vacuum cleaner. Weird thing is its the only machine I've had that I've never done anything with and its been the most reliable - not even a windows reinstall  Crazy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav

I haven't done my desktop PC for a  few years but now you've brought it to my attention......
Wouldn't dream of doing anything to the laptop Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Mav

Desktops normally every 3 months take the sides off and blow thru with compressed air, surprising how much dust gathers on the power fans, the video fans and under the keyboard.
Laptops blow thru with compressed air (keyboard and fan) every 6 months or so. As an indicator, if the laptop cooling fan starts going into overdrive it signals it needs a clean!
thejudge
Grafter

I do mine about 3 times a year. The fan blades are the usual source of dust (apart from the air intakes, of course).
Whatever you find, it could scarcely be as bad as any of these:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/13/ventblockers/  Shocked
kdoug007
Grafter

well i    could  add  a  bit  also .. how    many     ..    actually..  have a    pc  cover    /keyboard  one,,,
i  was fed up  with   dust,,  so  bought me  self  one  on that  well known  auction site..
 was  only  about  £3..  arrived  and  looks    great  ( a  silver  colour)
   matches  my  finger  nails!!!!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I don't do mine often to be honest, I'd be wary of prodding the components to re-seat them, that might have the opposite effect and loosen them, as Oldjim says leave well alone.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Infinity
Pro

I spring clean my PC once a month......
He especially likes it when I vacuum up inside his trousers !!
St3
All Star

every 6 months illblow what dust out i can Smiley
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Community Veteran

Be wary of using a vacuum nozzle close to PC memory or processor chips. Apparently the air flow across the edge of the nozzle can build up static electricity which may be a bit detrimental to the silicon if the nozzle comes too close.  There are anti-static nozzles available.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Infinity
Pro

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

You need to buy yourself an ashtray PlusComUK!!  Tongue Grin
What on earth is in those unlidded bottles at the back?  Lips are sealed
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

In a financial company where I used to work once the Finance Director insisted on signing of the purchase of each PC (plus a justification report for each request) to ensure money was not wasted on new PC's, this was with a company possessing over 2000 PCs. One day our Nirvana work environment was interrupted by the sound of a fire alarm and we had to evacuate the building - interrupting trading for at least an hour. We traced the source of the smoke to a PC under the desk of the Finance Director's secretary. She was out of the building at the time and avoided injury, but the small fire was due to build up of dust on her old PC. In effect the dust caught alight when an overheated component failed.
shortly after we received instructions to "refresh" the PCs in the Finance Dept.  A precursor to the BOFH I think.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: w23
You need to buy yourself an ashtray PlusComUK!!  Tongue Grin
What on earth is in those unlidded bottles at the back?  Lips are sealed

It's not my mess of course !!!