cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much will they cost ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

How much will they cost ?

Went to Morrisons for the weekly shop, and came home with 3 packs of Strawberries,....(as well as other stuff).... they were priced at £1.00 each.

Out of interest... I thought, seeing as how we are currently IN the "common market"  ,... I would check on how far they have travelled...  two packs came from SABROSA in northern Portugal, and one pack came from Fortuna, in southern spain, (near the med coast)..  both travelled at least 1300 miles to get here... ( probably a couple of hundred more before being released on to the shelves of our local Morrisons).

We had to travel 5.5 miles to and from the store, and that journey probably cost me ( almost ) £1.00 in fuel and wear and tear on the car.. 

SO..,... amazing value for money.. but how much will they cost IF/WHEN we leave the EU ? ? ?  

9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: How much will they cost ?

You could grow your own, the price would then remain the same irrespective of if we remain in or leave the EU.

Cheesy

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Difficult to grow your own strawberries in the UK in January (oh, sorry I was looking at the weather, not the calendar).

Some info on the Spanish ones: http://www.foodswinesfromspain.com/spanishfoodwine/global/products-recipes/products/more-about-produ...

I'ts amazing that so much cheap produce is available considering how far some of it travels (South African Apples, New Zealand Lamb - funny I thought we produced those here and without the 'round the world' travel costs).

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

If we leave the EU Thumbs Up then they will end up with a Strawberry mountain Smiley  to go with butter & milk LOL

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 38

They'll probably cost the same since they want to sell us strawberries and we want to buy strawberries. So prices are negotiated and a deal done - just as now..

David
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Ah!! but what did they taste like?

I usually find "forced" Portuguese and Spanish strawberries have a rather nasty taste compared to "proper" English strawberries.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

They taste very nice actually.... sprinkle of sugar on, and some ice cream.... yum yum !

Community Veteran

Proper strawberries are not in season, so the imported ones will never taste as good as a home-grown (be it in your garden or actually in this country), I prefer to grow my own... Smiley

I tried some out-of-season ones a couple of years back, large, deep luscious red, firm but not too firm, but, no flavour, highly acidic, and very dry and crunchy, worst strawberries I've ever had...

Community Veteran

Out of season ?   defined by what...... ??  .... the U.K. Weather patterns of course... however... southern spain, and northern Portugal have a much better climate, and more consistent weather patterns, don`t cha know !.. therefore... the strawberry season over there is somewhat sooner in the calendar year, than the UK strawberry season..

the one`s you had , were probably picked too soon... rather than being out of season, and the quality control staff ( either in the UK fruit distribution centre, or the supermarket buying department ) wasn`t doing its job properly.

Community Veteran

shutter wrote:

Out of season ?   defined by what...... ?Huh

By the fact that they're not growing fruits right now, of course, which just happens to be based on the seasons... Roll eyes

Foreign imports are picked way too early, and they're forced to ripen along the way by pumping a gas into the storage containers and then they appear to be mostly to fully ripe on the shelves, but from experience, they're far from it, being forced to grow during the winter months indoors in vast climate-controlled greenhouse conditions doesn't produce a good fruit, a plant has to suffer the elements (rain, wind, sun, cold, hot, etc.) to form good fruits, especially during low-sun months, even in portugal or spain...

Grown enough of them to know what's good and what's imported rubbish... Cool smiley