cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much is a ton of spuds?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

How much is a ton of spuds?

Well, if you buy Walkers Cheese and Onion Crisps, in the Chichester Ship Canal Cafe..... it works out at

£18,143.70 p per ton.... !    

I base that price ont a 35g packet being sold for 70p      There are 907,185 grams in a "short" Ton... divide that by 35g = 259,19.571 ( packets)  multiply that by the cost of the packet at 0.70p to give the end figure quoted above...
So... how much do you pay for your "Walkers" cheese and onion crisps ... in your LOCAL SHOP/Cafe/Greggs   NOT supermarket prices...
I would like to know... so that I can refer back to the guy in charge, as I think it is a "rip-off" to charge Fourteen Shllings for a packet of crisps...  
27 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: How much is a ton of spuds?

Good question, and link:censored knows cos I rarely buy them from a local shop/cafe/Greggs.... Grin
I will say though that they never tasted as good as when I got some fresh off the line at the Walkers factory in Peterlee back in 2000, it was a school trip and I'll never forget how horrible it smelled in the factory, rotten potatoes and hot sunflower oil, yeugh!!! Crisps were damned good though when they were only a few minutes off the line.... Grin
adie:red removed avoidance of swear filer.]
Community Veteran

These new fangled modern crisps just don't have the lovely potatoey taste of those that came in the papery packets with the blue twirl of salt.
So what if every other packet contents were soft or stuck together in a cloddy mass. Sad
When you got a good one it make them taste all the better.
Fixes: 121

@shutter Sounds like you may have a chip on your shoulder Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Whilst I do understand the "frivolity" that may be around with this thread... I was hoping for some serious responses to the question... how much do you pay for your Walkers Crisps ?

I don't buy crisps but looking at Tesco's site a 32.5g packet sells at 55p which equates to just under 60p for 35g.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

I'll have to keep my eyes peeled Wink

I thought serious replies were wanted - not half-baked puns Roll eyes

Sainsburys and Waitrose both have the same price as Tesco.

So far I've seen them in 25g, 32.5g and 34.5g but not 35g packets. Surely having so many different weights, especially close to each other, can only push up the cost rather than have one size (35g?) across the board Undecided

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

best price for walkers , ASDA my local was £4 a box of 40 packets = to 10p a packet Smiley
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

you can get a 6 pack of them in the local pound shop for a pound ....
my co-op does them for about 70p a pack as does the bakery or you get them for about 10p if you take the meal deal option.....
ever since 2005 when the new pr buzz word was "brand imaging" brand name anything went through the roof in price, old brands priced themselves out of the market based on pr hype that they could and therfor should stop charging a decent price and instead charge an astronomical one, a clever ploy introduced by big money marketing companies from overseas that caused several previously well known and loved product ranges to be "uneconomical to produce" (because people refused to pay the asking price) which signalled the death Nell for many a company as some super conglomerate like Kraft foods hovered them up for chump change just before they went down the toilet .....
then the prices after takeover creep up as the packages get smaller and the ingredients are swapped from the time tested recipe to some cheaper nastier gunk that makes even bigger profits.....

back to the original question a tone of spuds doesn't cost anywhere near that amount, your paying half the purchase price (35p) for the packaging with the brand name on it, your paying a few pence in transportation costs, a few pence for the shops profit line and a few pence in vat, so out of the remaining 10p there lies the purchase price of the spuds and the processing costs to turn them into crisps, it used to cost 12p to produce a bag of crisps and get it to the shops back when the factories were full of people in the mid 90's, now there full of machines and the costs have sored despite it being advertised as a streamlined process that produces less crisps per day and has greater numbers of unemployed who cant afford the new over priced brand name stuff which doesn't really look or taste much different to a bag of Tesco value crisps (especially given there made in the same factory as the walkers stuff) that only 10p a pack (singles) to buy in the shop......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you

SWMBO bought 12.5Kg of spuds yesterday for £2.
With 1 tonne = 1.10231 short tons that works out at £176.37 per short ton.

Community Veteran

Quote from: nanotm

back to the original question a tone of spuds doesn't cost anywhere near that amount, your paying half the purchase price (35p) for the packaging with the brand name on it,

(Edited for typo )...  Cheesy

Are you for real?  Did you really think I didn`t know that....... ?  Shocked

the statement I  made, and the maths configuration, in my original post. was purely for whimsical effect... ... but..... you managed to take it seriously...   Grin Grin Grin
The serious part of the original post .. was the question.....

So... how much do you pay for your "Walkers" cheese and onion crisps ... in your LOCAL SHOP/Cafe/Greggs   NOT supermarket prices...

in case you missed it......   Roll eyes

Quote from: shutter
in case you missed it......   Roll eyes
Actually I did miss the bit about supermarkets  Embarrassed

Community Veteran

In the pound and 99p shops they're generally specially made packs with only five in them now.