cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much is a pint of beer?

geewizz
Grafter

How much is a pint of beer?

I haven't worked in a pub for over 10 years and I'm not much of a pub goer so I've lost track of prices. In 1995 I was charging £1.35 for the Scottish bitter and £1.38 for a pint of lager.
I know that prices vary with region and that nightclubs aren't comparable with social clubs but what do you usually pay for a pint in a local pub these days?
25 REPLIES
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: How much is a pint of beer?

My local Whetherspoons does real ales  at about £1.70, but other pubs around here in Scotland more like £2.20
Don't know how much for other drinks as I don't buy them
geewizz
Grafter

£1.70? That comes as quite a shock. I fully expected that the cheapest pints (excluding wierd exceptions) would be over £2.00 by now.
Fixes: 104

Near work it's 4 - 5 quid a pint (London), home it's 2.50 - 4.00 depending where you go. (Coventry)
Will Moderate For Thanks
dgdclynx
Grafter

In Bath the going rate is around 2.70.
Mal08
Rising Star

Quote from: geewizz
£1.70? That comes as quite a shock. I fully expected that the cheapest pints (excluding wierd exceptions) would be over £2.00 by now.

Maybe Whetherspoons varies around the country - but that indeed is it here in Central Scotland - and you get a very good selection of real ales from large and small breweries.
The cheapest area I found for beer in the avergae pub - was the NW of England - especially Staffordshire, Cheshire.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

How much for a pint of wine then?
I bet it isn't much more.

Community Veteran

I do a regular stint behind the bar of my bowls club, and we charge £1.60 for a pint of IPA.
We're also unique we think, as there are two of us on the bar-committee, and we're both tee-total.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Mal08
Rising Star

Smiley
How much do you charge for soft drinks then - most pubs grossly overcharge for them - especially given there is no added excise duty on them.
cp:quote
Fixes: 104

Tell me about it, at least 2 quid for a pint of cola flavoured fizzy water round here...
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

[me=Be3G]always opts for orange juice. Or occasionally Applestiser.[/me]
Talking of which, I'm off to a Wetherspoons in half an hour... they don't seem too expensive for that kind of thing.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mal08

How much do you charge for soft drinks then

We don't have any soft drinks on tap, so we use cans, Coke, diet Coke, Ginger beer etc are 70p, split size orange 50p.
We're only a very limited club bar, so we only carry a very small range and stock, everything else except the draught IPA is in cans or bottles. Canned Carlsberg lager (600mj) £1.80 and Guiness (600ml) £1.60, we also carry canned John Smiths and IPA, bottled Spitfire and Bombardier.
cp:green Quote tag sorted mod:end

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Thanks chilly, thats twice I've done that today, always seem to get in a tangle with two (or more) quotes.

198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Average pub pint in Moray is £2·20. The bar at my bowls club is very small and only has bottled & canned beer, which I don't buy, so don't know the price. A single Famous Grouse there is £1·10.
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

Simple answer to the original question: TOO MUCH!  Sad
My local here in NI in a rural area £2.60
In Belfast it is about £2.90
In Dublin you would need to remorgage your house to buy a round!