Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much does a cow cost?

Pete11
Pro
Fixes: 3

How much does a cow cost?

Went to local shop yesterday for a 2ltr carton of milk, price?.. £1.30. Went to same shop this morning for the same size of milk..price?..now £1.90, gone up overnight by 60p.  Shocked  It's a right rip-off.

I have come to the conclusion that it's cheaper in the long run to buy a cow...all the milk I need and something to keep mum-in-law company (oops, did I just say that?). 

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
22 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: How much does a cow cost?

Don't forget to to buy a cow that is "in milk". Otherwise you'll need to get it pregnant.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

And the cost of a Bull will cost a lot more than a Cow ?

On the plus side your garden will be well fertlised.

Community Veteran

Then when dealing with the bull, after having a number 2 at least we can assuse you of talking rubbish litereally.
Well a different term of rubbish I can't post on here. Cheesy

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yeah... "local shops"... including those local Co-op`s and the like.... always charge more for their goods...  supermarket price for a 2ltr milk is around 85 to 90p   depending on location... however... many think that is "expensive"... UNTIL... they are made aware that the farmer only gets about 2p per ltr for the milk... which is almost "below cost"  for quite a few  farms... and even worse a loss  to very small herds...

They are over a barrel of course, by the supermarkets driving down the price..  the cows produce milk twice a day, and need milking twice a day... but the poor  farmer cannot say to the supermarket   "stuff you, I want more for my milk per litre".. as he cannot store it, until the supermarkets "giv in to his demand for a decent price"...

Don`t forget, the farmer has to pay for vetinary inspections of his herd... any medicals needed to treat his herd, plus the machinery upkeep.. which is quite a lot to pay for  out of his 2p.per ltr.  ..

Personally, I would not regret paying £1 per ltr for fresh milk daily, so long as the farmer got 25p per ltr for it.. that would ensure that dairy farming is profitable, and sustainable, thus a continuing safe supply of milk to the market.

Fixes: 47

shutter wrote:
Personally, I would not regret paying £1 per ltr for fresh milk daily

That's a big jump from 43p per litre I currently pay Shocked

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Pete11
Pro

Strat wrote:

That's a big jump from 43p per litre I currently pay Shocked

And what if it went to 73p per ltr in one jump?..works out at around 80-odd% increase (roughly). I'm not talking about a supermarket either...just a little corner shop.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Community Veteran

Pete11 wrote:

And what if it went to 73p per ltr in one jump?

1 pint at Tesco costs 45p, which equates to 79p/Litre...

Pete11
Pro

Nearest Tesco to me is 2 miles, and I no longer drive now (due to heart attack while driving) so me and wifey have to make do with corner shop. To be honest, it's prices aren't that bad...it's just the increase they put on the milk overnight that surprised me.

Fixes: 125

I was in one of the Coop petrol garages the other day where a litre was £1.09 and 2ltrs £1.69!

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Pete11
Pro

That's still cheaper than local shop here. Looks like going back to that powdered garbage that clogs up the spoon while trying to dissolve it.

Fixes: 125

@Pete11 Not too bad in coffee (with lots of sugar) but have you tried making a pint up to drink? Just has a powdery texture/taste.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Pete11
Pro

Yep..it's a marvel that people buy it. Ha..marvel, get it? Oh my talents are wasted .  Grin

I wonder...if fresh milk comes from living cows, does powdered milk come from dehydrated ones?

Steve
Pro

Pete11
Pro

@Steve

Interesting link that one. Will certainly give it a try, although I will have to keep wifey away from it cos she has a nut allergy, Still a good link though.  Thumbs Up