cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much did this farce cost the tax-payer?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

How much did this farce cost the tax-payer?

Another story that if it wasn't on the BBC news website you would swear was an urban myth:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8209600.stm
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
7 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Re: How much did this farce cost the tax-payer?

£6.12.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Could you break that down into an hourly rate for the job,per person, please ?
wisty
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Ever noticed that when money is spent in a way with which the complainer disagrees/thinks is unnecessary it is always the Tax-payer's money. However when the complainer wants money spent on something they feel has value/should be done the money magically transforms into the Government's.
So its the Government who should pay to roll out high speed broadband, and the Taxpayer who is bailing out the banks!!!
itsme
Grafter

I must be against all spending as I refer to any spending as Taxpayers money.  Grin
snozboz
Grafter

@wisty YES!  Glad it's not just me Smiley
Also, people from all political persuasions increasingly say "they should do something about it" implying that the Government should intervene in whatever situation is concerned.  But they don't consider that this means spending money raised through taxes; also that it will never be possible to raise enough money through taxes to intervene in everything that needs fixing, so therefore every new government has to prioritise and choose which problems to try to address (so the decision at the ballot box is between different sets of priorities); also that, just because something is wrong doesn't mean it can be fixed through outside intervention, and it certainly doesn't mean that the Government is the best "agent" of change in each situation or should be the "agent" to do the intervening. 
It's most strange when people who are politically Conservative are the ones saying "something should be done" - they don't see that having the Government intervene in another situation means that Government gets bigger and higher taxes are needed, which surely goes against Conservative ideals.  But it is also strange when people who are more traditionally Labour supporters come out with the "they should do something about it" line - they don't see that, however much Government can be a positive agent of change, Government can never take the place of collective action by and within society and people.
Sorry for the essay/rant. Smiley
Community Veteran

Quote from: snozboz

Well said, summarises nicely something that often frustrates me. (Lack of comprehension of how things actually work?)
e.g. Who are "they" and who will pay and why don't "we" do something too? It's like there's a magic "them" that do all sorts of things for free and absolve "us" of all responsibility........
Fixes: 47

Quote from: snozboz

No...no...well said. Good piece. Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation