cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much are those beans?!?

mentalist3d
Grafter

How much are those beans?!?

I don't mean to sound stingy, but I was in the local supermarket today and they were charging 79p for a tin of Heinz beans!!! Maybe its just me, but I thought this was well too high considering I can get a non-branded tin of beans, the same quality (sometimes better, sometimes worse) for 23p.
So is 79p the normal price for Heinz or just a rip-off price attached by the supermarket?

(i'm still getting over the fact that I can no longer buy a 10p packet of crisps lol)
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: How much are those beans?!?

it's a rip-off.  i got two cans for £1.19 on offer at my local corner shop.  i often find that corner shops offer better value for money than supermarkets.  they give personal service and are appreciative of loyal customers.  at the supermarket i am just another face with money in its pocket.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Heinz 4x415g for £1.50 in my local major supermarket..
Lurker
Grafter

4 for £1.50 at Asda too.
If you buy "brands", you have the retailers margin to pay, plus the brand owner, plus the manufacturer.
If you buy supermarket own brands, you just have their margin, and the manufacturers margin to pay.

N/A

I'm astonished that you guys actually know about the price of food items. I thought that it was women who were more in the know about such matters. However, I am obviously the exception to the rule as most of the time I haven't a clue what stuff costs!  Embarrassed
Round here it is Netto and Lidl that provide the VFM. Personally, I wouldn't bother with either as it would cost me the difference to get to the store - luckily I can walk to Morrisons in 15 minutes.
Javert
Grafter

Poppy – please remember that not all us fellas have a woman in tow!    Cheesy
Some of us are singletons – and do our own shopping and so have an idea of supermarkets’ prices, especially for the “basics”.
Fixes: 105

I think for an individual tin that's not too far off the mark, we wait till they are on offer in the 4 packs and then stock up until next time they are on offer.
Do the same with premium branded drinks too..
Will Moderate For Thanks
Lurker
Grafter

I'm an IT guy, not a shopping guy.
Take two guesses as to how I could accurately report the price of something...
http://groceries.asda.com/asda-estore/catalog/sectionpagecontainer.jsp?departmentid=1214921923813 ; Grin
As I work for a manufacturing company who supplies a number of large retailers in the UK directly, as well as brand owners who in turn supply the same retailers, I have a pretty good handle on where the majority of the margin is added.
N/A

Quite obvious that you are in IT James - what a clever little avatar you have today.
Javert - of course there are many men who do their own shopping, whether living alone or not.
My one enjoys shopping and has a very keen eye on prices whereas I can't be doing with it.
mentalist3d
Grafter

Cheers for the feedback, I think I'll stick to my non-branded beans Cheesy
me and my wife share shopping duties, but I've noticed, if she does the shopping it usually costs £10 - £20 more (mind you there is usually an extra bag of chocolates and other "treats" lol)
Community Veteran

Good deals on food can be had here http://www.approvedfood.co.uk/
Lurker
Grafter

I find it I go its more expensive like-for like, but I get round a lot faster.
When she goes, its not really like for like, because although she saves on stuff I might not have noticed, she spends £20 more and it take her almost 1.5hrs to get round the supermarket.
So by my rudimentary mathematics, its nearly £50 per week cheaper (inc labour) for me to go shopping.
£2500 a year less, and we also end up with less waste to throw out too. - Yikes!
mentalist3d
Grafter

cheers for the link santiago, I might never have to leave the house again for shopping Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Strange how you should bring this to the fore !... my missus was saying the same thing to me this morning on the exit slip of local Morrisons.!  in particular she was remarking on the high price of a tin of soup, being twice or three times what it was last year...
me?  I`m in the group that goes into the supermarket for 8 items, and comes out with 8 items, in double quick time, don`t even notice the price... !... My missus will spend up to 2 hours shopping, and then complain that she doesn`t like it !... Where is the logic in that statement?  (ooops, (most) women don`t know what logic is ....  Cheesy  )
Lurker
Grafter

Hear Hear!