cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many on the Forum use PN for phone and broadband?

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

How many on the Forum use PN for phone and broadband?

Was it, because you would have had to pay the £2.50/ month surcharge, if you hadn't, or some other reason?

How have you found the phone service, all aspects?

I ask, as PN will soon be £15-20 cheaper a year, if I choose to use PN for both, but I risk losing my "niche product-no surcharge" account, should it not work out. Is £15-20 a year worth it?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: How many on the Forum use PN for phone and broadband?

I have a PN business broadband and phone service. I've made one test call on the phone and the price was excessive so I use sipgate instead.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 105

i switched from bt to pn about a year ago when bt put their prices up - spoke to the customer options team and got a good deal.

transfer happened on the correct day, as I was on holiday didn't notice any downtime but it seemed smooth enough.

found no issues or difference with the phone service, i take anytime calls and caller id.

Will Moderate For Thanks
Fixes: 125

I used to have PN broadband and BT phone till I moved to TT for 9 months or so in 2012 and had to combine both. Decided it was best to keep both with PN when I moved back. Price didn't come into, more convenience.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Welshdragon
Rising Star

I have both with PN, Anytime call package, all landlines are free to call & I use my mobile for mobile calls

Community Veteran

I have my phone with BT. I thought it best to stick with the organ grinder.

The couple of times things have gone wrong over the years they were quick to answer, no damn silly music, and quick to repair.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

I have phone and broadband , but rarely use the phone as its cheaper on the mobile .

But have no choice but to have a landline Ticked off

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro

Like Welshdragon, I use my mobile for mobile calls and I have the PN landline for landline calls, the only time I in the last 3 years I've had a problem it was fixed in 2hrs.

The line rental, anytime calls and my internet was cheaper at the time I took from PN it than my BT phone bill alone.

Edited because what I wrote wasn't what I meant at all!

Luzern
Pro

Interesting comments from some, who use their mobiles instead of the landline for calls; please set that aside in my domestic environment. That done is the saving I mentioned worth it against the service standards of the two phone providers/

As for BT when phone faults arise, both times in the fourteen years at my current location, the problems have been solved quickly, efficiently and helpfully. In one case the problems lay with the highways authority over holes in road!

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I just wanted bast internet access, the phoneline (which is barely used for outgoing calls) just happened to come with it...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Likewise, my phone line is with Plusnet but line only with Rental Saver, for outgoing calls I use mobile or VOIP.

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

dvorak wrote:

i switched from bt to pn about a year ago when bt put their prices up - spoke to the customer options team and got a good deal.

transfer happened on the correct day, as I was on holiday didn't notice any downtime but it seemed smooth enough.

found no issues or difference with the phone service, i take anytime calls and caller id.

Snap!! only difference is I have Call Transfer as well (pretty well essential for us, disabled Mrs P is unable to answer landline and not forget about it within 30 seconds of answering it, so prefer at times to have calls transferred to my mobile). oddly, the voice on the setup message is the same as that when we were BT.

You could suggest I should ditch landline altogether, have considered it, but we still get calls that are important to us on it.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Quote fixed.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Also have PN broadband and anytime phone calls along with caller display.

Upgraded to fibre (unlimited use) for an extra £5 a month.

Phone rental paid 12 months in advance.

I cannot claim I have the cheapest package going when compared to other companies but having had good service from PN I would rather stick with them than risk a move to save a few pounds a month.

If the future price compared to other ISP's starts to get silly or the service gets poor then I might change.

Before you do anything, get a quote from PN before moving or changing anything so you have a figure to work with.

nanotm
Pro

I have both with PN because it was cheaper when I took out the fibre bb, I haven't seen any difference in getting things fixed terms between BT and PN, if anything PN seems to get things resolved to a higher standard than they were when I was a BT customer.

in the 6 years on the same line I had 19 faults whilst I was with BT (the first 2.5 years) all line faults due to dodgy cables, none of them were resolved, in the 3.5 years with PN i had 1 line fault (the same dodgy cable) that was fixed when the Fibre roll out happened and since then other than the couple of DNS/gateway outages I haven't suffered any problems

to me that makes PN not only cheaper but a more effective provider, but each to their own.

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Luzern
Pro

gleneagles wrote:

Before you do anything, get a quote from PN before moving or changing anything so you have a figure to work with.

How is it best to do that and get something in print?

Another point is that, whilst I get my monthly account on line, I can still download a csv file that contains full details of all calls made. That's useful for analysis etc. How good are PN's monthly accounts? Anomymised  example?