cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many men does it take to change a lightbulb...?

Fixes: 121

How many men does it take to change a lightbulb...?

Seven.
The photograph shows six men in high-visibility jackets standing around with their arms crossed as one colleague scales a ladder to fix a traffic light.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: How many men does it take to change a lightbulb...?

To be fair, they each had to carry ONE traffic cone and one had the ladder  Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

They didn't stop the traffic in all three directions?  Very risky.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Nothing would surprise me anymore. The worst thing is the authorities see nothing wrong in wasting time and money - they just have the "oh well..." attitude towards it all.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Thunderclap
Grafter

Quote from: Mav
he photograph shows six men in high-visibility jackets standing around with their arms crossed as one colleague scales a ladder to fix a traffic light.

A mightly fine example of Public Sector Sub-Contractors at work & play.
One guy will be tasked with quality control and another holds the qualility training plan clipboard. One guy is holding a screwdriver because he's been on the pointy objects safety seminar. And another has a permit to work above 30cm. The others are just colour co-ordinating with the traffic cones.  I do hope that's not a conductive metal ladder they are using on an electrical job?
Community Veteran

There are two concepts in play here;
1, "It's NOT our money".... and
2,  If we don't overspend this year, we won't get am increase in budget next year.
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: 7up
Nothing would surprise me anymore. The worst thing is the authorities see nothing wrong in wasting time and money - they just have the "oh well..." attitude towards it all.

Devon County Council said the seven men were employed by a private contractor to check the lights were working properly.. A spokesman said: 'The work being carried out was not at the expense of the taxpayer and these are not County Council employees.

It seems that in this case if any criticism is due it needs to be directed at the private sector not the public sector.
Personally I am always reluctant to take any press story at face value.
Community Veteran

Quote from: alanf
I am always reluctant to take any press story at face value.

Maybe, but that story was in the Daily Mail so what's the relevance?
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

I was reminded of this -
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Looking at this photo you can guess see who is doing the most work for the least money !
Thunderclap
Grafter

Quote from: 4C
I was reminded of this -

That's so true!!!
Devon County Council said the seven men were employed by a private contractor to check the lights were working properly.. A spokesman said: 'The work being carried out was not at the expense of the taxpayer and these are not County Council employees.

And Devon County Council's Executives don't have their fingers in the tax payer till either.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Thunderclap
The work being carried out was not at the expense of the taxpayer and these are not County Council employees.

Of course it was, whatever process was taking place was factored in to the price, who is the actual employer is irrelevant.
However, it didn't say what they were checking. If it was a whole junction and phasing etc. needed visual verification then it would need a large team to monitor all the lights simultaneously.
Though I'd have though that a video-based technical solution could achieve the same more easily.  Cool
Then again, maybe the team had a whole list of jobs that day and this was just a small one? We'll never know, but it gives everyone a good laugh.  Grin