cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How low can they sink ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

How low can they sink ?

A Woman who left over half a million pounds to the nation was shared between the coalition to fund their political parties.
Just how low can these people sink ?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2391553/Joan-LB-Edwards-Mysterious-520-000-donation-left-wom...
14 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: How low can they sink ?

Who sank, the woman or the coalition Undecided
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: gleneagles
A Woman who left over half a million pounds to the nation

Er it was left to the government of the day not the nation.
Normally I'd be the first on the bandwagon to slate our MPs but in this case it's the woman who left them the money I'd like to slate. She could have left it to any number of good causes but chose to leave it to lying, theiving, deceitful MPs instead.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Razer
Grafter

You know what they say; a fool and her money are easily parted.
nadger
Rising Star

Seems this matter has been resolved
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23691209
Obviously the will was very badly worded which isn't the fault of any political party.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

She left the money to "whichever Government is in office at the date of my death for the Government in their absolute discretion to use as they may think fit". She did not intend it to go to any political party though it seems "the government of the day" chose to use the money in that way.
Unsurprisingly after this came to light the parties have seen the light.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23691209
Fixes: 47

the parties must  "do the decent thing" and " hand back" the cash

It's politicians we are talking about here Tongue
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Hang on, if it was a legal will, which no doubt it was then It would have been drawn up by a solicitor. So would he not have been more at fault rather than this elderly woman ?
Of course she would have read and signed it but even so she had no involvement with any political party and it is quite clear that by paying the money back the government accepts this.
Strat,
It hardly matters whether or not they gave the money back based on past & present performance they are sunk.
Community Veteran

If the reports are correct it's the Executors who seem to be at fault.
It's up to them to interpret the Will and Execute the wishes of the deceased.
I've acted as an Executor more than once and the beneficiaries were not shown the will, just told what they were getting. Nor did they ask.
Though in general Wills (after Probate is granted) are public documents with a few exceptions which is presumably how this came to light.
Razer
Grafter

Anyone who had any involvement in this and was made full privy to the wording of the will is at fault. Any sane person knows that 'government' in this context means the representatives of the people. It does not mean 'political party'. Though sometimes connected, they are not one and the same.
EDIT:
In fact both parties accepting this money shows an extreme arrogance and presumption if they knew the money was left to 'the government'.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Hang on, if it was a legal will, which no doubt it was then It would have been drawn up by a solicitor.

What makes you say that?
You don't have to have a will drawn up by a solicitor, thats a myth. You can write it yourself and have two witnesses sign it to show that they witnessed you signing it.
Look: https://www.gov.uk/make-will/overview
Your witnesses can't benefit from your will and you basically have to cover every scenario in case the people you leave things to have died etc but yes, you can write a will yourself and it will be legally valid. I did so just before I went into hospital. I had two neighbours witness mine and both laughed their heads off.. then they got the news that I nearly lost my life while in there and had a second operation to save me. Needless to say I came home to find the lawn had been mown, cakes were offered and I got a couple of grovelling apologies  Grin
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: Razer
both parties accepting this money shows an extreme arrogance and presumption if they knew the money was left to 'the government'.

Well they know now (assuming the wording has now been checked) and it's reported that they have given the money to The Treasury.
Whether "they" knew what the wording was when accepting it initially and/or deciding to keep it subsequently before this all became public will no doubt be the subject of an interesting political "debate".  Grin
Community Veteran

The solicitor who drew up the will did check the wording:
However Davis Wood, the solicitors handling Miss Edwards's estate, said that when the will was drafted in 2001, they had checked with her "the unusual nature of her proposed bequest".
"It was confirmed by Miss Edwards at the time of her instructions that her estate was to be left to whichever political party formed the government at the date of her death," they said.

Razer
Grafter

Quote from: HPsauce
... no doubt be the subject of an interesting political "debate".  Grin

lol Yeah, shortly before being brushed under the carpet and forgotten about.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Sprite
Hang on, if it was a legal will, which no doubt it was then It would have been drawn up by a solicitor.

What makes you say that?
You don't have to have a will drawn up by a solicitor, thats a myth. You can write it yourself and have two witnesses sign it to show that they witnessed you signing it.
Look: https://www.gov.uk/make-will/overview
Your witnesses can't benefit from your will and you basically have to cover every scenario in case the people you leave things to have died etc but yes, you can write a will yourself and it will be legally valid. I did so just before I went into hospital. I had two neighbours witness mine and both laughed their heads off.. then they got the news that I nearly lost my life while in there and had a second operation to save me. Needless to say I came home to find the lawn had been mown, cakes were offered and I got a couple of grovelling apologies  Grin
Yes you are quite correct a will does not have to be drawn up by a solicitor but it's a reasonable assumption that if you are leaving over half a million pounds to a specific cause then you would not want to make a mistake by using one of the do it yourself wills.