cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long to install :-

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

How long to install :-

My XP in a VM was complaining about lack of space so, I thought I would make a new one, as the V. disks are not re-sizable.. and XP always needs cleaned out anyway!  Roll eyes
Source XP with SP3 CD (ISO image).
destination V. disk with 3Gb of space and a seperate V.disk of 4 Gb for the apps.
So I started installing yesterday, it ran out of room installing all the patches!
Recreated a new V, Disk with 5Gb, and started again, it wanted to call this blank disk  E:! power off again!
Removed the app disk and installed again. After 30 min, and multiple reboots (!) it is still installing!
Finally installed and ran regedit to move my doc's & Program files to D: drive after another re-boot to see the "new"  disk!
Now it wants to install 86 updates and has been running for a couple of hours, and all I have managed to install is FF!
Compared with:-
Source Mint CD V9 (ISO image)
Blank V. disk of 4Gb
All booted and Installed in 15 min, fully working system while it was being installed, I could surf, play games etc.
One reboot to install the graphics driver, all updates installed in a few minutes and NO reboots required.
Fully working system with Office suite, Internet & email all usable now, no registration required  Grin
Is it any wonder I prefer Linux ?
Update:- it has just finished installing the 84 of 86 updates (I didn't want i.e.8 or WGA!) and guess what, yep reboot time again  Crazy
Update2:- Found ANOTHER update after rebooting why couldn't it install it with the rest?

NB
VM= Virtual Machine running under VirtualBox
V. disk = virtual containers (disk's) used by VirtualBox to house the VM's disks