cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long to change a fuse?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

How long to change a fuse?

Well we had a power cut this morning, starting before 7am.

Scottish Power web site said "fuse blown at sub station, engineers on site, estimate resume at 10:30" timed 7:28am

10:28 updated to say fault in cable outside no.9 new estimate 16:30.

Power back on at 14:25

We now have a large hole in the pavement a couple of doors up from us.

So 7.5 hours for SP to change the fuse  Wink

Last power cut was much the same time and was cause about a 100 yards down the road from the current break.

So have the cables been in the ground since the estate was built, about 60 years ago?, certainly not been replaced since I have been here (25 years)

11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: How long to change a fuse?

Fuses are very unusual in higher voltage substations because to protect the consumer from weird problems all three phases have to be taken off line in the event of a fault. More likely that the cable was the problem all along, so four hours to repair seems about right.

alanf
Aspiring Pro

I would assume that, as with a household fuse, it is not the time taken to change a fuse but the time taken to identify and fix whatever it was that caused the fuse to blow in the first place.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@nozzer 4 hours? TRY nearer 8 ! (<7 to >14)

I was well aware of the issues, one of the reasons I put the smiley on the post.
The issue was a faulty cable as I mentioned, but we had a similar issue a few years back 100 yards down the SAME CABLE.
Community Veteran

The very dry weather sometimes causes ground movement that ruptures cable insulation. If it's the original cable it's probably due for replacement anyway (in tiny stages as each section fails!). Wink

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

About 11 years ago, a cable went bang under the pavement right outside my front (and only) door, resulting in power being cut for about 2 days while they dug up the footpath (leaving a lovely big hole for me to fall into), fixed the blown joint and eventually filled it in 3 weeks later...

Whether they had to replace a fuse or not I don't know, but it must have been a hefty bang, my house reeked of burned copper & insulation for a week as the joint was on the other side of the wall to my flood-o-matic cellar feeding my power... :S

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I had a job once as the engineer on an RAF radar station looking after the distribution system at 11kv. We had a lot of oil/ paper insulated cables which had been in the ground since forever!  They were ok until disturbed so repair one fault and you would be creating others! I think modern cables are cross linked polimer XLPE

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Minivanman
Hero

Or, how long does it take BT to splice a fibre cable and connect it to my 'completed' installation?

So far, nearly a month.Sad

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

There is an old joke:  How many psychiatrists does it take to change a lightbulb? Only one but the lightbulb must really want to change.  Perhaps the same could be said for engineers and fuses.

Here are a few more lightbulb jokes: http://www.lightbulbjokes.com/directory/a.html

Community Veteran

When my power went out it was fixed the next day. The first thing the engineer said was - you should have called last night when it went we would have come straight out. Then the obvious main fuse was checked, The big single one before the normal fuse box. Next he laid in a power line from the street light so at least everything was back working.

After that it was the wondering around with the detector thingy. Finally digging up a spot next to the fence in my front garden on my neighbours side. It was all repaired and concreted back over before the days end.

Funny I had been hearing the odd fizzing sound when in the front garden and my lights had been flickering occasionally for months.

RobPN
Aspiring Pro

@Minivanman

Minivanman wrote:

Or, how long does it take BT to splice a fibre cable and connect it to my 'completed' installation?

So far, nearly a month.Sad

Are you referring to splicing the new fibre at your end to replace the original bodge-job?

As it was originally 'working', I think if they're claiming a splice needs replacing elsewhere, there must be a smell of BS.

Perhaps it would be worth trying to get PN to kicksomeass.

Minivanman
Hero

The original 'bodge job' has now been fixed @RobPN but the FTTP has never worked since it was installed, the router was left plugged into the PSTN line and I was told they needed to connect to the correct port - which means the have to access a junction box in one of those underground ducts but "special lifting equipment is needed and it's more that a one man job"  

Engineer notes:
Rang Dcoe and they said fibres Not working as it is not connected to the correct port in the splitter so can't see ONT needs external engineer to match up to correct port in splitter . ONT installation - COMPLETE

All very confusing and although fibre may be 'up to speed' on this as is Plusnet, BT engineers and/or those that organise these things are most certainly not and I'm now waiting for a return visit at their insistence to attend a completed installation and why? I have absolutely no idea, but I do know it's all so very familiar.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.