cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does it take your body to work ?

Infinity
Pro
Posts: 5,601
Thanks: 149
Fixes: 2
Registered: 19-06-2011

How long does it take your body to work ?

From your lips to your hips in just 3 hours:
From digesting a cupcake to healing after surgery, how long does it take your body to work ?
DIGESTION: 24 hours
It takes two years for the tissue to recover fully following a deep wound such as one sustained through surgery — although the actual healing process starts within seconds of the damage occurring, according to a study from Columbia University.

More...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2397653/From-digesting-healing-having-orgasm-long-does-tak...
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Posts: 13,929
Thanks: 515
Fixes: 8
Registered: 01-08-2007

Re: How long does it take your body to work ?

Quote from: PlusComUK
It takes two years for the tissue to recover fully following a deep wound such as one sustained through surgery

They didn't bother telling me that either. Maybe that explains why I'm getting a lot of soreness inside when my food is going through. They told me the wound where they opened me up would only be at 90% strength after 10 months but they never said anything about the internals that they'd sliced and diced.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Razer
Grafter
Posts: 1,375
Registered: 17-11-2012

Re: How long does it take your body to work ?

Recover? I'd have said 'make do' - even decades down the line.
James
Grafter
Posts: 21,036
Registered: 04-04-2007

Re: How long does it take your body to work ?

I generally find that my body doesn't really work before about 1pm each day.
Community Veteran
Posts: 1,894
Thanks: 3
Registered: 20-10-2012

Re: How long does it take your body to work ?

My new knees were working again within hours of being fitted!  Cool
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran
Posts: 13,929
Thanks: 515
Fixes: 8
Registered: 01-08-2007

Re: How long does it take your body to work ?

Quote from: James
I generally find that my body doesn't really work before about 1pm each day.

Thats all those managerial drinking sessions Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
James
Grafter
Posts: 21,036
Registered: 04-04-2007

Re: How long does it take your body to work ?

Sssssshhhhh
Community Veteran
Posts: 5,472
Thanks: 288
Fixes: 4
Registered: 11-08-2007

Re: How long does it take your body to work ?

Is that the sound of another beer being opened ?  Cheesy
Community Veteran
Posts: 7,154
Thanks: 54
Fixes: 2
Registered: 30-08-2007

Re: How long does it take your body to work ?

Following major surgery to my spine, my surgeon said that I would be up and walking again in 40 hours (I had been in severe sciatic pain from an out-of-position vertebrae pressing on the nerve for several years and unable to walk more than a few hundred yards) To say I was sceptical was putting it mildly.
But he was right, I was up and moving around under my own steam in just about almost exactly 40 hours. Within two more days I had walked two miles, I just couldn't sit still. I never wore the full torso plaster body brace that had been cast for me.
I was given a 20% chance I would spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair after the surgery, that meant an 80% of success, a no brainer for me.
I may well need new knees now, but my spine has never given any further trouble.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Posts: 13,929
Thanks: 515
Fixes: 8
Registered: 01-08-2007

Re: How long does it take your body to work ?

Some people have all the luck!
They told me it would take me months to get back to near normal. Unfortunately they were right. I still have trouble bending and doing anything physical. Lifting heavy things also puts a strain on me too. To date the heaviest I've managed to lift is 10kg for a short distance. I certainly can't move a car battery  Cry
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Posts: 5,322
Thanks: 467
Fixes: 1
Registered: 21-03-2011

Re: How long does it take your body to work ?

I could tell you how they get the bowel working again after surgery, but you might be eating breakfast/Lunch/Tea so I won't reveal the detail, but it involves harvesting before the Op and implanting after.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Posts: 13,929
Thanks: 515
Fixes: 8
Registered: 01-08-2007

Re: How long does it take your body to work ?

Well I don't know what you're thinking about but I had my bile sucked out after surgery and then pumped back in again via the nose tube. That was an experience I'll never forget. It's a really dark green liquid (utterly disgusting) and as they draw it out it feels like you're being sick up the pipe. They empty it out into a container to see that it looks ok to the naked eye and then... yup.. you got it.. it feels like they're pumping vomit back into you. Absolutely disgusting.
Mind you, can't complain too much about the pipe as it took away my nausea instantly one night. Felt sick and all I could smell / taste was that fortisip disgusting drink stuff they give you.  Initially when you've not eaten for days it tastes wonderful.. soon catches up though lol. Anyway felt really sick one night and didn't think my stomach would handle the reflexes from the muscles (8 inch wound). Anyway the nurse was able to simply suck the liquid out of me via the nose tube and that was it - nausea was gone instantly along with the liquid. I've never had a feeling of pre-vomiting go away so quickly. It really was utterly amazing.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Razer
Grafter
Posts: 1,375
Registered: 17-11-2012

Re: How long does it take your body to work ?

And the moral of the story is: to guard against being caught out by nausea, always have a tube inserted for quick resolution.
Community Veteran
Posts: 13,929
Thanks: 515
Fixes: 8
Registered: 01-08-2007

Re: How long does it take your body to work ?

Lol yeah absolutely - I swear by it. Stuff the heaving just pump the stuff out.
No idea how they get the thing up your nose and down your throat but pulling it out don't half make you gag. By the time I'd had it a week they decided it needed to come out at some point. The plaster holding it in kept coming off so I eventually did the deed myself with a good yank as it was annoying me the way it kept slipping half way out. Thats a sensation I won't forget quickly lol.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!