cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does a credit card continuous authority keep going after a card is cancelled due to fraud

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

How long does a credit card continuous authority keep going after a card is cancelled due to fraud

This isn't a Plusnet related problem but they can answer the question

I just had my auto renewal of my house insurance come through and I thought that there was a good chance that the card had expired so I phoned up to get it changed but hit a snag - checking the last 4 numbers they didn't match my cards so I went away to check.

Found that they matched a card which was replaced with a different number over 2 years ago because of possible fraud

Hence my question

9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Re: How long does a credit card continuous authority keep going after a card is cancelled due to fra

IIRC I heard a story on the 'One Show' regarding this in that they never do stop hence the use of 'Continuous Authority'. The story was part of a scam where people were buying products, at a 9.99 value but were getting billed in perpetuity for products they did not want in values of 10 times the original on a monthly basis, so to be 100% sure I'd be on the phone to whoever issues your card.

Community Veteran

Re: How long does a credit card continuous authority keep going after a card is cancelled due to fra

So much for posting in Accounts in the hope that Plusnet could help - I don't know why I bothered

Community Veteran

Interesting, I never knew that.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

@Oldjim - I found this, you might find it useful.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/recurring-payments

Community Veteran

yes indeed - specially this

I've found out the hard way about the perils of a recurring payment. Yesterday I received a credit card bill, with a payment taken from it, for a credit card I had cancelled FOUR years ago!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

One reason I am careful about who I allow to recur on my cc. In fact I don't think I have ANY recurring charges, just DD's.
Insurance is one area that I ALWAYS refuse to let them do it, I normally change insurers every year to get the best deal.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 165

Oldjim wrote:

So much for posting in Accounts in the hope that Plusnet could help - I don't know why I bothered

While I don't have an answer for you, I'm happy to ask someone over in our billing team next week to see if they can give me any insight on this.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

As the Martin Lewis link points out, you can now tell the bank to cancel a CCA if the company concerned is failing to do so.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

HairyMcbiker wrote:
I normally change insurers every year to get the best deal.

Be careful there though especially with motoring insurance. I've stuck with Direct Line and although it's a bit of a fight every year to keep my premiums reasonable and the fact that they're a pain to deal with at times, they do offer more perks than many others.

Driving other peoples cars on 3rd party - not all insurers give you this

Driving someone elses car fully comp as your main car - not all insurers will let you do this - you have to own it yourself

Temporary cover - not all will do this either - direct line let you add another car to the policy for up to 28 days

Those are just three things i can think of from the top of my head.. but there are more and it's a reason i chose not to bother prowling about for other companies.

I'm just as picky with my mobile phone too Crazy3

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!