cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long do you take to boot up?

N/A

How long do you take to boot up?

Oldjim is having problems booting up (taking a long time) so I am starting a thread to see how long others take, so stopwatches out please.
I can't enter my own yet because I am already up and running so to speak and as I only do it once a day it will have to wait until the morning.  Roll eyes
The parameters are from switch on until all the security is loaded and the 'busy' thingy has gone.
And no showing off from the Linux/Mac users please!
62 REPLIES
Fixes: 105

Re: How long do you take to boot up?

Desktop (Win XP) - 1 minute
Laptop (Win XP) - 2 mins
Mac Mini -  Lips are sealed
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Ironically actually, I think my Mac boots faster in to Vista than it does in to Mac OS X - although the fact my Vista installation is very uncluttered with nothing else set to load upon startup is probably (hopefully) why.
Community Veteran

Xp high performance edition on Intel Quad 10 seconds with auto login thats to the desktop active. The high performance edition  is with all rubbish services stopped and other tweaks see
http://www.tweakxp.com/performance_tweaks.aspx or
http://www.tweakhound.com/xp/xptweaks/supertweaks2.htm
for services see
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
I should point out if you use Winpatrol from http://www.winpatrol.com/ it has the option of setting delayed start on any items. So I use this to delay a lot of items that I dont need straight away like email bluetooth drivers and other none essentials. These can be delayed  for several mins to allow a very fast load time. After all you can wait 3 mins for email to load
Community Veteran

around 45 seconds with pclinuxos 2009.1 on a 3ghz/2gb ram machine.  without the speed and ram figures, boot times don't mean much.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

It takes ages for the BIOS to load and identify my SCSI disk  Cheesy
Most of the succeeding time is the kernel identifying PCI resources and registering wireless etc. (for Ubuntu)
I'll use the stopwatch on it tomorrow - I'd guess about 80-90 seconds.

Community Veteran

55 Seconds on Windows Vista ultimate - including time to enter password.
Oh, mine is running on a Intel Celeron M with 2Gb Ram plus a 320Gb Hard drive if that makes any difference.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Desk top: 2.31
Laptop: 2.45
Both seemed a little longer this morning (but not much) may have been first start's after a Windows auto update.
Both Vista Home Premium
I'm intrigued to wonder where this research is leading though!!
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
N/A

Probably a dead end Petlew! But then, the Chit Chat section seemingly never leads anywhere much anyway.
S'pose it could give Oldjim a bench mark for his lengthy boot up time.
For the record, my Vista Business Edition with 2GB RAM and 160GB hard drive took about  2 minutes this morning (got a bit confused at the exact time that the busy thingy went out) - I should have been more accurate, but then, I am a woman!
Community Veteran

<1s
Ah, but that is on a 32MHz processor with 48k-16bit wide memory running a simple scheduler OS. Much of that time is waiting for the crystal to generate the 32MHz clock to settle!
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Medion E1210 netbook, 1G ram, two users so goes through sub log in, Win XP  81 Secs
jmd
Grafter

I don't time mine as I switch the laptop on and then make breakfast, so as long as it is ready when I have had my toast [and given a tiny bit to Holy], I can then go on machine whilst drinking mug of tea.
Community Veteran

Oldish Dell Dim2400 desktop - Celeron 2.6GHz, 1GB PC2700, IDE disk. XP. Rarely reboot - just under 2 minutes I think.
Today after the MS updates I rebooted and went to make a cup of tea (minimal water in kettle, so quick) - it was done when I came back.
My newer system (under construction for W7) takes a similar time but that's nearly all BIOS stuff checking RAID disks and things like that.
W7 itself loads in about 45 seconds - dual-core AMD Athlon 2.7GHz, SATA-2, DDR2.
Fixes: 47

About 2 minutes 30 on work XP machine but about 1/3 of that is loading my profile from a busy server.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Lurker
Grafter

Quote from: Strat
About 2 minutes 30 on work XP machine but about 1/3 of that is loading my profile from a busy server.

Presumably one which is still running Server 2000?