cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long do you keep your e-mails?

N/A

How long do you keep your e-mails?

On reading my computer magazine this week I noticed an article for a free software download for the sole purpose of storing e-mails and then transferring them to external media.  I ask myself - why?
I have also noticed that people often post to to forums to ask about the best way to transfer e-mails from their old PC to a new one. 
When I am sorting out my friend's computers I nearly always have to go through OE with them because it is totally bloated.  Once a computer technician told me that he had serviced the PC of an elderly gentleman and found it to be crammed to the hilt with spam e-mails because he thought that as they were addressed to him they were important and should be saved (I kid you not).
I am a definite deleter and can't understand why people should want to save every single e-mail that they ever received.  What do other people do - hit the delete button or save?
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Posts: 6,111
Thanks: 1
Registered: 05-04-2007

Re: How long do you keep your e-mails?

All genuine e-mails of mine are saved - not manually, just, I don't delete them from my Inbox. (Although I don't receive that many e-mails really which makes this more practical than for some.) It doesn't cause anything to slow down, and every so often I do find the need to go back and check an old e-mail, so I'm glad I don't delete everything.
Community Veteran
Posts: 7,149
Thanks: 51
Fixes: 2
Registered: 30-08-2007

Re: How long do you keep your e-mails?

I used to keep every single email, neatly transferred into seperate mailboxes labelled for each regular correspondent. One day I found a free piece of software on a mag disk (long forgotten what it was called) could transfer all my mail into it or, restore it back, either as a whole or just an individual mailbox. So once a week I religiously backed-up my email, then it slipped to once a month, then I just simply didn't bother. It only worked with OE or Outlook, so when I changed to Thunderbird, I simply forgot about it altogether. did I ever use the Restore option...er! no, not once in 2 or 3 years. As the numbers of mails grew in the back-up so the longer it took, as it used to write a complete new file each time, I think towards the end it was taking over an hour to complete.
Nowadays I just have a good clear out of the inbox from time to time, if there are any interesting attachments, I transfer them onto DVD-RW, just to keep the C drive from cluttering up too much 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Posts: 16,819
Thanks: 1,112
Fixes: 13
Registered: 06-11-2007

Re: How long do you keep your e-mails?

once a week. I go through the list of emails, and delete 95% the other 5% are "to be dealt with". and usually get deleted within 24 hours.... my inbox is rarely more than 15  Roll eyes
jmd
Grafter
Posts: 2,933
Thanks: 2
Registered: 30-07-2007

Re: How long do you keep your e-mails?

I keep some because they contain information I want to refer to again, jokes etc get forwarded and then deleted unless I enjoyed them so much I want to read them again.
And Outlok Express every so often offers to compact them for me ever so politely and that is useful.