cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How good can a virgin be?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

How good can a virgin be?

Well,... I am not really into cooking, so don`t understand a lot of the stuff, and terms, they use on these cooking programs....
Jus?  what`s that?  is it a posh/cooking snob/foodie  name for gravy ? 
Balsamic Vinegar?  Huh?  where is Balsam?  I`ve heard of Balham, in London.
and the point of my question.... 
Extra virgin oil..... surely you can`t be more pure and straight than an "ordinary" virgin....
or is that the point....( like Jus. )  .. just a posh/cooking snob/foodie  way of saying... "bung some olive oil in it instead of fat to make it slide down easier"...
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: How good can a virgin be?

I wish I hadn't checked http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080120082944AAlhnZh
What is ‘Virgin?’ Virgin means mechanical extraction. The oil or juice is extracted by machines with no chemicals used in the process.
What is ‘Extra’? Mechanically extracted (virgin) olive oil is not all the same quality. 'Extra' is the highest quality and is thus classified because it goes through a battery of tests, both laboratory (analytical) as well as 'taste' (an olive oil master tastes the way wines are taste tested). Virgin olive oil that is judged to have ‘no defects’ is classified as extra. So ‘extra virgin’ means – mechanically extracted olive juice that passes laboratory and taste testing with no defects.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olive_oil
Extra-virgin olive oil Comes from virgin oil production only, and is of higher quality: amongst other things, it contains no more than 0.8% free acidity (see below), and is judged to have a superior taste, having some fruitiness and no defined sensory defects. Extra-virgin olive oil accounts for less than 10% of oil in many producing countries; the percentage is far higher in the Mediterranean countries (Greece: 80%, Italy: 65%, Spain 30%).
Virgin olive oil Comes from virgin oil production only, but is of slightly lower quality, with free acidity of up to 1.5%, and is judged to have a good taste.
Regardiong Balsamic Vinegar - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balsamic_vinegar which shows how manufacturing methods degrade over the years

Now back to the usual facetious posts
Grin Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Misleading title....
Was going to say a virgin can be good but you can teach them to be naughty!  Cheesy
I think virgin olive oil is the first pressing of the season. Extra virgin is the first pressing from New trees.  If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me.  Smiley
Community Veteran

There you go -----I was totally wrong  Angry
Community Veteran

From a keen cooks point of view, the extra virgin oil has a nice peppery taste while the lower quality "normal" olive oil had a more mellow taste.
I use the extra virgin for adding to my pizza dough and sauce while I use the cheaper stuff for light frying duties.
I remember buying a small bottle of £30 Extra Virgin olive oil once - it went through the till at £2 which was even better  Grin It was amazingly light and tasty and you could just sit there dipping fresh bread into it with a little balsamic vinegar.
Community Veteran

So,..... if Cheddar cheese comes from Cheddar..... and Leicester Red... from Leicester....
Where is Balsam? where the vinegar comes from Huh?
Community Veteran

It's a lot better than the days when in the UK you only came across Olive Oil as a clear liquid which you purchased from the chemist's to soften wax in your ears. Food in the UK in the 60's used to be a lot more boring and unhealthy.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
Where is Balsam? where the vinegar comes from Huh?

The word balsamico (from Latin balsamum, from Greek βάλσαμον) means "balsam-like" in the sense of "restorative" or "curative"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balsamic_vinegar
Community Veteran

So,  you could use it like a medicine then to cure all sorts of maladies !  ( like extra vigins ! ! ! 0.  Shocked
Fixes: 125

I thought virgin olive oil was simply that which hadn't been used before (recycled) and extra virgin was just a bigger bottle Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Yeah,... me too !... hence my posting....  Cheesy
thejudge
Grafter

"Extra virgin oil"
Just means that you can keep it on the shelf for longer...  Grin
RichAllen
Grafter

You can have all the Olive Oil you want, but she'd never leave Popeye!
Er, yeh...
*gets coat*