cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How far can you drive on a full tank of fuel?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

How far can you drive on a full tank of fuel?

And it still registers as "full"
I ask as in recent years I've been hiring cars a lot more, there are always several options on return.
a) fill the tank just before returning the vehicle
b) return without filling the tank and pay the going rate  for top up (usually with a surcharge).
c) elect at the start of the hire to 'pay for a full tank of fuel' and just return as it is at that time.
If you hire a car which do you choose?
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: How far can you drive on a full tank of fuel?

Return with a full tank......
However, the trick is to fill up slowly, whilst someone is watching the fuel gauge... and stop filling just as the gauge shows full....
normally you could squeeze an extra gallon (or sizeable part thereof) before the automatic shut off closes on the pump)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

(almost off topic) Funny you should mention that, I had three Mondeo's in a row, all had the same curios "feature" I could fill to the brim, drive 100+ miles when the fuel gauge would continue to show F and a few miles later would "lurch" down to 3/4 full and stay there for another hundred miles before beginning to fall steadily as you might expect it to.
Perhaps they all had the same fuel level sender fault.
The current Toyota "acts" up similarly but not so pronounced, It definitely doesn't like cold morning when the gauge rarely rises above 1/4 full until the car has warmed up a bit even when I know its been recently filled. Can give you quite a fright I really thought I had a hole in the tank until I got used to it.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: shutter
However, the trick is to fill up slowly, whilst someone is watching the fuel gauge... and stop filling just as the gauge shows full....

Good idea but the safety notices at filling stations prohibit leaving the ignition switched on while filling up and the vast majority of cars will not display the fuel level with the ignition off.  Sad
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Is it not engine running rather than ignition on? And how would they monitor it?
My 02 Mondeo was the same, full tank till about 100miles then dropped to 3/4. Mind you that was when I could afford a full tank of fuel  Cry Kiss
Community Veteran

When hiring a car I always opt for a full tank at the start and to return the car with the tank empty.