cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does that work?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

How does that work?

With Sky+ I started recording part way through what I thought was a live program. On replay it had recorded from a point some 15 or so minutes before the record button was pressedHuh
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
33 REPLIES
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: How does that work?

You will have live pause (Instant Rewind in menus) enabled, which stores up to 60 minutes of streamed video.
You will have the programme recorded from the start.
Or from when you switched to that Channel.

Sky+ allows you to rewind live TV. It does this by constantly recording whatever channel is active to hard-disk. You can set how much you hold in the 'rewind' window from Services>Sky+ setup. The options are 5, 15, 30 or 60 minutes, or you can disable the service if you wish.
Community Veteran

That's a good facility.  I don't think my Humax does that.
Fixes: 47

My Humax satellite box (Foxsat HDR) automatically does this. If I switch channels halfway through a program it dumps that recording and starts again on the new channel.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Mine's a Freeview box.  I'll have to investigate.
itsme
Grafter

On my device it's called Time Shift.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

On most boxes, Freeview or otherwise, what you are actually watching when using the box to provide an output to the TV, is the output from the hard disc. That's why you are able to pause and rewind etc.. I've not found a way yet to fast forward a real-time broadcast though!  Cheesy.
itsme
Grafter

As I can switch my hard drive off where is the output coming from?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

In that case the box is simply passing the signal straight through to the TV, but you won't have any box-related functions of course until you turn it back on.
nadger
Rising Star

What's SkyHuh?
Fixes: 47

A cash cow I refuse to have in my field.
The only cow known to exist which milks the farmer.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I know what Sky is, as loads of those scroungers on benefits with exagerated disbilities have it (some of their homes are incredible) but despite being a grafter when employed I've never been able to afford the luxury.
I thought David Cameron said he's going to make work pay? - He certainly did! He made it pay for the rich people and the lazy  Roll eyes
I've known plenty of genuinely ill people and they have little despite being on all the benefits they can get. Something rather strange about that.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: nozzer
On most boxes, Freeview or otherwise, what you are actually watching when using the box to provide an output to the TV, is the output from the hard disc. That's why you are able to pause and rewind etc.. I've not found a way yet to fast forward a real-time broadcast though!  Cheesy.

I'm a bit confused on this issue.  If I'm half way through watching a programme are you saying I can actually view the part I've missed? I'm using a Humax Freeview box.
Community Veteran

You can watch the part you missed by going out of the room leaving it on and tuned to the channel. If you have a PVR (box with hard disk recorder).
Or just press pause, then play when you return. Though sometimes this all stops at the "real-time" end of the program.  Cry
Best to just press record when you think you'll be wandering away.  Wink
Community Veteran

Now I am confused Undecided  In the early posts in this thread it seems to suggest that if I start recording a programme from say halfway through I will be able to watch the start of the prog that I didn't set to record.  Can't see how that works.