cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does it work?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

How does it work?

OK. this is about the speedtesters on the net.... but not a speed problem, so I put it here...
BT speed test is supposed to be the "benchmark" for faults... fair enough, it gives BT certain info about every one`s line, and thus they work on a common base line of info...Problem is, it takes so long to do anything, and nothing seems to be happening, then suddenly the result appears...
with other speed testers, they use a simulated "speedo" to show the speed, and users can see (or can they) the speed creeping up to maximum....
but are we being "conned".... surely the speed at which any line runs, is pretty constant.....(assuming the line is stable)  e.g. If I send a short email to a friend, of say two lines of text, it travels at (for my line) 1.2 to 1.4 mb..... and if I send a couple of pictures and half a page of text to the same person, it travels at the same speed,...  Even if the "ping" time is three times longer than the average, I notice the final speed is more or less what I normally get.
(normal ping for me to Birmingham is about 65ms.... some times it has been 130 -170 ms but still get 1.2 -1.4 mb speed)
the "speedo" versions have us believe that the longer a test  (message) is running the faster it gets, until it gets to the max speed for that line....
while the speed test is a given length, to give the final figure, it appears that if it were three times as long, it would give a speed three time higher ?  Roll eyes
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: How does it work?

What speed does your car run at?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

that depends on which country I am in UK 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70 (Mph).  Eire  30, 50, 60, 80, 100,120  (Km/h)  its all relative though isnt it
Community Veteran

Two of the most revealing answers ever, to my question....
and I thought there were some intelligent people at this end of the forum....
Perhaps they are busy elsewhere, and will come in later. Roll eyes
nadger
Rising Star

Just tried a Gatso gun to test my computer speed and it was stationary  Crazy
Fixes: 47

That may be so Nadger but I can verify that PCs do indeed accelerate at 32 feet per second/ per second.
But seriously I have done speed tests here and had varying responses from a rapid rise followed by fairly static value to a low initial value followed by a steady rise or a rapid rise to a good value followed by a slow drop off.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
Two of the most revealing answers ever, to my question....
and I thought there were some intelligent people at this end of the forum....
Perhaps they are busy elsewhere, and will come in later. Roll eyes

I knew there were some .... and they have arrived  Grin Cheesy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

make sure you get the correct speed tester, they are not all that they look like  speed testers  scroll down the page for examples
Community Veteran

Pierre.......

It would appear as if you are not currently logged on to our site correctly!

Therefore you will not see anything except a pale green background and  the borders. ! ! ! Embarrassed
pierre_pierre
Grafter

sorry about that, now in a pdf below