cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you start your emails?

Fixes: 125

How do you start your emails?

It seems traditional methods of addressing the recipient may be dying out:
Should e-mails open with Dear, Hi, or Hey?
It's time we ditched "Dear..." from work e-mails, according to a US political figure, who says it's too intimate. So what is the most appropriate way to greet someone in an e-mail - hi, hey or just get straight to the point?

Personally I never use Dear when emailing family, friends, etc. but I always start business emails with Dear Sir/Madam/Name and end with Yours faithfully or sincerely depending on the opening.
As for Cheers - I've been known to use it here as an alternative to 'thanks'.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

17 REPLIES
David_W
Rising Star

Re: How do you start your emails?

I just tend to start writing without any formalities of name, if I know the person.  If I were to write to a stranger for information I'd write "Dear sir/madam" as that's polite.  I guess I see email to friends as an extension of SMS messages, you don't start them "Dear George" you just write what you need to and get on with it.
nadger
Rising Star

I normally start Hi followed by first name and end with Regards
Don't send many business emails but would normally make them slightly more formal but still try to be friendly.

I start emails to friends with either Hi or Hiya and I do the same with texts.
I even sign off texts with my name.
I have had texts from people who have changed their number and I have had no idea who they're from till I ask.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Yup! agree, usually begin emails with hi .......,
Following the salutation though I use normal letter conventions, using "proper" punctuation, spelling, paragraphing etc. (and a spell checker operating) email may be a less formal communication but, it still needs to be easily understood. With a swipe at another thread, I don't use text speak in emails either.
Edit: I usually do the same in PM's as well. But not always as these can often be more cryptic and quite short.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

If I'm sending an email to someone I know as a friend it's 'Hi'.  On a more formal basis I use just the person's name such as to my doctor yesterday, Dr. R......
Ending emails is one of, 'Regards, Best Wishes or if I know the person on an intimate level, Love.
I don't use the salutation 'Dear' except in one case.  The person concerned emailed me using 'dear' so I responded likewise.
Fixes: 104

i tend to start by clicking 'New Message'
/coat
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I start by clicking on the "Thunderbird" icon in the top right corner of my desktop screen...  Roll eyes
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Then I follow by clicking the Write button - Thunderbird hasn't a new message button
Community Veteran

They call it 'Write'
Steve
Pro

1. Formal letter of application (for a job)
Dear Sir / Madam
I am writing to apply for …….
End:
I look forward to hearing from you
Yours faithfully
2. Formal business correspondence (for example: letter of enquiry)
Dear Mr Smith (Dear Ms Smith)
I am writing to enquire about your prices
End:
An early reply would be appreciated / I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.
Yours sincerely
3. Formal letter of reference
To whom it may concern
I write with reference to Ms Smith…
End
Yours faithfully
4. Business email – friendly
Dear (+ first name)
Just a quick note to remind you about
End
Best wishes / Kind regards
5. In-company email request
(no salutation)
Could you…….
End
Thanks / Cheers
Community Veteran

Interesting topic Mav; it's something I wondered about back in 2009 – here's my thread if you want to see what people said then. Could be interesting to hear if people have adapted their approaches a bit since then, as I think I have…

Good thread, Thomas. Wish I'd seen it before I posted.
I think the following by artmo sums up my personal emails:
[quote="artmo"]Just checked some email details from this morning with a friend.  I started with 'Hi' and she started with 'Morning'.  After the second email we dropped the salutation completely and just carried on as if we were speaking to each other.
I will add that a new topic would set the whole Hi or Hiya cycle going again  Cheesy
Following on from that thread and adding to this one email, for me, is more like letter writing as you have the opportunity to read, edit and re-read before pressing the Send icon.
The first bit of advice given to me when I opened my first email account was 'never send a knee-jerk reply without saving it to Drafts and reviewing it later'. This has been sound advice and has prevented me many times from sending emails that could have inflamed a situation rather than help resolve it.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I start them with Hi or I just get to the point with no greeting.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I normally start with Hi followed by first name and end with From Gary
Wen sending business emails I normally start with Dear Sir or Madam, if I know there name I put Dear Sir then name or Dear Madam then name, and end with Yours Sincerely then my full name.