cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you retaliate?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

How do you retaliate?

While I'm generally a good citizen, I've always been a firm believer of proactive payback (retaliation) when given negative service by an organisation. For example a £60 parking revenue ticket for a 2 minute overstay in a Reigate car park was personally rewarded by me with a thoughtful letter to their mayor and withdrawal of £1500 worth of business from one of the local service providers.  However I cannot condone the recent pyrotechnic protests currently occurring in that same town.
I think it is very important to give such feedback, on a negotiation course I once attended we were provided with the factoid that only 1 in 30 dissatisfied customer complains. If we don't complain how else can we assist our suppliers to fix their problems. I've given  PlusNet the opportunity of my proactive feedback and I'm glad to say they gladly accepted the opportunity to address the service issue raised.
What are the paybacks in your locality?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
22 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: How do you retaliate?

I agree that feedback, positive or negative to a supplier of goods and/or services is of great benefit to the said supplier as it helps them to assess their business model.
However I am not a natural complainer unlike my Son and Daughter who are and I envy them (they take after her mother).
I have made, via email two complaints about certain roads in the area and apart from an assurance that the matter would be investigated nothing else happened.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
James
Grafter

Strangely, I rarely complain directly to people that I am getting a service from (I will of course moan about things to my friends).
Dad on the other hand, spends a lot of time in the States and tells me that their idea of customer service is somewhat elevated to our own, and will happily complain about things that aren't to his satisfaction.
Community Veteran

I agree with your Dad James.  In the US customers expect a much higher level of service and generally get it.  When it is necessary to complain companies are very quick to respond and put matters right.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

I believe the success of eBay is due to the culture of leaving feedback, as not only does the feedback history give the potential buyer an insight into how well a seller does (or not !), but it increases the emphasis onto the seller to accurately describe what is being sold and to provide a good and pleasant service.
However as with all things there are those who don't play the game -
1) Sellers that email you every day (even before the item has arrived) demanding positive feedback, with threats of leaving you negative feedback if you don't say only good things, or if you don't leave feedback immediately.
2) Sellers who reply with rude and abusive messages if I have asked an innocent question such as asking whether the unlocking password or PIN number is known - as the item is useless without it.
3) There are the sellers who you simply ask for the product code printed on the item (particularly computer games with region codes), only to receive a lecture about "I DON'T SELL FAKES.....". and "WHAT ARE YOU ACCUSING ME OF ?"
4) Then there are sellers who get upset and send reams of hate messages because you make the slightest negative comment, because they sent you a fragile item wrapped in a carrier bag that got damaged and then refused to answer emails to resolve the situation.
Fortunately most eBayer's are pleasant and honest, and it the few that can ruin your day.
Community Veteran

Publicity is usually effective, but you do need to be accurate.
I had some unfortunate "dealings" with the owner of a local consumer-facing service business that meant in my opinion that they were unscrupulous and untrustworthy.
The dealings (where I lost money and time) were nothing to do with their business I might add, but I don't wish to elaborate.
Let's just say they verbally agreed on a fair resolution to a "problem" and then reneged a few days later in a calculated way that meant I had no recourse.
(I subsequently discovered that somewhat similar incidents had happened before....)
I also run a local service business, in a different industry with absolutely no connection to theirs. But with a fair number of common customers.
I made sure that all my family & friends, and whenever the opportunity "naturally" arose to comment, all my customers too, were fully aware of what happened.
100% factually so no possibility of any complaint. I just raised the question - what do you think and would you want to deal with them given the alternatives?
From what I know of people who've taken business elsewhere their resulting loss is many times mine.
Community Veteran

Quote from: purleigh
However as with all things there are those who don't play the game -
1) Sellers that email you every day (even before the item has arrived) demanding positive feedback, with threats of leaving you negative feedback if you don't say only good things, or if you don't leave feedback immediately.

Can sellers still leave negative feedback?  I seem to remember reading somewhere that this was not the case anymore.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I'm the first to give a company a piece of my mind if I feel the service isn't up to scratch. PN should know about that. When we first joined it was horrific (before the new pipes were bought) and everyone was up in arms about their bandwidth. P2P was useless (slower than dialup) and this just didn't seem to bother PN one little bit with the excuse "Your package wasn't designed with P"P in mind" being a common reply. Maybe so but it should still be faster than dialup. Anyway over the years I've become complacent with PN bit by bit. The SO uses skype a lot and in fairness to PN skype hasn't been throttled, glitchy or had any other problems. I've now completely given up on P2P for anything useful and have made do with other things to pass the time online. We were mightily p*ss*d about the charge changes a while back which were in a very badly designed email from PN but apart from that I can't really say much bad about them for the last year of service really. In some ways its probably good that they've made P2P so impossible to use after giving out their customers details. I never got the chance to use p2p properly so in some ways they've protected me from myself.
Anyway there are of course other companies out there worse than PN and they've taken it from me too. The worst being a local mechie who has caused me no end of agro and still refuses to apologise.. yet he's clearly upset others as his business has been in the press a few times. Tesco and ASDA are also two of the more recent untrustables. Tesco seem to think they're so big that you don't matter and ASDA seem to think that inconsisting pricing is the way forward along with their little parking scam.
These days though the most powerful revenge tactic seems to be twitter and facebook (neither of which I use). I've heard a few stories lately where a few mentions on twitter has companies almost grovelling to put their wrongs right. Years ago people would laugh at the idea of an online vendetta against a company but today its a very credible threat.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Steve
Pro

Quote from: purleigh
I believe the success of eBay is due to the culture of leaving feedback

Are you sure? Recently bought a pair of powerline adaptors from there and they kept conking out, Got my refund however as I got a refund I could no longer leave " Feedback"
Anyway I then went and bought a brand new pair of Netgear powerline Adaptors ( 200 mbps ) @PC World for £49.97 See below Wink Wink
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/netgear-xab1501-powerline-av-adapter-kit-10348484-pdt.html
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

You mean these
Transfer speeds: up to 200 mbps
Network Ports: One 10/100 Mbps Ethernet port each
Sad

Steve
Pro

Yes that's what I meant Embarrassed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Think sellers on e-bay might have the right of reply if you leave them negative comments but things have certainly improved on ebay from the customers point of view as firms seem to be providing a better service.
On the general point of complaining my only complaint is about members of my family who tell me that I am always complaining and embarrassing them but don't seem to understand that if you don't complain you are doing nothing to help the person providing the service as you will simply not use their services again. By complaining in a reasonable manner most people who provide that service will put it right assuming that your complaint is reasonable.
Looking at some of the review sites for hotels it's clear that some people make trivial complaints whilst others give high marks where most give average so it may come down to the standards you are used to.
Our first holiday in Spain many years ago was in a one star hotel and we thought it was great to have pool and bathroom but should I go back to the same hotel today I would possibly be complaining about the poor facilities.
Community Veteran

I had a bad experience with Ebay feedback.
I bought an item and the seller left positive feedback. Turns out the item was defective and not as described. I emailed the seller and tried to resolve the issue (get my money back). He wasn't interested and I got nowhere. I then left negative feedback about the item and the seller's response. Subsequently the seller edited the text of his positive feedback comment,  effectively changing it to negative  feedback. I complained to Ebay but got no satisfaction. The comment remains.
As a rule I retaliate quietly and viciously and believe in the expression "don't get mad get even"
These principles were applied to the ebay seller in due course
Community Veteran

ebay isn't the fun place to sell that it used to be. It operates on different levels for different people.
The selling rules, what you can or can't sell, doesn't apply to the big sellers.
The ordinary seller is no longer treated like ebay's customer, which they are, and seem to be treated in a throwaway manner.
Fees have risen to such an extent they are now on a par with bricks and mortar auction houses where you will actually get some service for your money.
Even your own paid for auction pages are now plastered with links and ads.
If you want that hard to find used item it's still the place to go, but only just. Where you used to get a dozen pages of choice, you're now likely to only get a dozen items if you are lucky.
Fixes: 124

I find as I am getting older I feel more confidence in setting out my complaints.
Experience has taught me that keeping calm, thinking through my argument and collecting any evidence that may relate to my complaint is far more important than confrontation.
As an example if I asked for steak medium to well-done and it comes back still breathing I will complain. If it comes back with the chips and peas cold then they will have to sort that out, too.
When I was a lot younger I would often just put up with it under the fear of looking stupid and feeling intimidated. No more - the worm has turned Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still