cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you get television news for where you live?

jmd
Grafter

How do you get television news for where you live?

I live in North Nottinghamshire.  I get BBC "Look North" covering Lincolnshire and Humberside.  I am fed up of hearing about Hull.
Why can I not get the news that covers Nottingshire and South Yorkshire?
My TV arial receives from  Belmont, Lincolnshire.
Reception is better using Freeview Box [well I have Humax PVR]
44 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Re: How do you get television news for where you live?

Hi jmd,
When I lived in Berkhamsted and Hemel Hempstead in Hertfordshire, we should have been able to pick up the London news, but because the signal connection was so poor, we ended up getting Anglia news with exciting developments in places like Ely and March.
Bit of a pain but one of those things you have to put up with sometimes!
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I get my local news from a SKY + Box.  Smiley
jmd
Grafter

I do not feel inclined or even wish to pay for SKY [even though the previous owners of this house have left sky dish on wall!]
James
Grafter

Yup, same here.
I don't want to commit to that sort of contract just to watch television, especially when I'm living in rented accommodation.
N/A

There doesn't have to be a contract as such - you can get freeview from Sky too you know.
If you have the dish already, all you need is a box, they'll send you one (obviously there is a fee to pay)
Contract-wise, you just sign up to a digital services contract, guaranteeing you'll pay for any pay-per-view stuff you watch (as this is available on the free deal still)
If you are in rented accomodation its bit harder I grant, but the landlord may be amenable in some cases - it does increase the desirability of a property to be able to at least offer the option.
Other than that, you could try BBC iPlayer presumably. Alternatively you might be able to get the regional news on your current aerial if you point it towards a transmitter broadcasting the programming you want. (Harder to acheive - but perhaps possible/feasible.)
Bob_Milton
Grafter

Have a look at this. You may get good advice for wherever you live.
http://www.ukfree.tv/starthere.php
jmd
Grafter

Thank you for that link - it makes interesting reading. Especially as I find that other people have same query as myself............... the suggestions are; to retune channel/better arial but I am worried that if I do I loose other channels or gain other problems!  I think I would also have to get someone in to do this so would cost me money!
pberry
Grafter

Quote from: jmd
I live in North Norttinghamshire.  I get BBC "Look North" covering Lincolnshire and Humberside.  I am fed up of hearing about Hull.

Because Look North covers Notts and South Yorks as well as Lincs and Humberside (and other counties). Same news for everyone, whether you get it from Emley Moor or Belmont transmitters.
What you want to do is go to http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/default.stm and choose Where You Live from the dropdown Smiley
jmd
Grafter

Quote from: pberry
]
Because Look North covers Notts and South Yorks as well as Lincs and Humberside (and other counties). Same news for everyone, whether you get it from Emley Moor or Belmont transmitters.
What you want to do is go to http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/default.stm and choose Where You Live from the dropdown Smiley

The Look North I watch/receive does not cover Notts/South Yorks - it is based on Hull down to Lincoln and covers news and weather in that area only.  There is never a mention of Notts or even Sheffield............
I do use the bbc website but would just like to see news/weather on tv too.
When I lived in Manchester Look Northwest covered the whole of NorthWest.
pberry
Grafter

I stand corrected: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Look_North_%28Yorkshire_and_North_Midlands%29
Can you not tune in to Emley Moor then? Or do TV receivers just lock on to the strongest signal?
jmd
Grafter

Quote from: pberry

Can you not tune in to Emley Moor then? Or do TV receivers just lock on to the strongest signal?

I think they just lock on to strongest signal from direction receiver is pointing
- perhaps I should get it to point in opposite direction and instead of Belmont get  Embley Moor!
prichardson
Grafter

I get mine through Sky.
Though living Barnsley (please feel for me), I get to watch news from the North West (good old Granada).
This is from the days I lived on Merseyside (don't worry, your wheels are safe), and in the move, I declared I had no phone line and no intention to get one.
This was despite having a Multiroom card (still do), which has a requirement for a line to prevent fraud.
Because it can't phone home, it won't do the standard region change poll, to give me my new channels. Good news is, I have no intention of changing this situation and the better news is, no letter has come through to date, despite having received them prior to the move.
So I get to hear about the latest Manchester shooting and fireworks destroying  phone boxes in Everton. Still, based on the way they moan out here for nothing, I would rather hear about the frightening stuff.
jmd
Grafter

I am glad to get away from what was regular news of shootings in Manchester  - it became depressing - I would just like to now get away from  news about tolls or toils of living near the Humber Bridge.
Anyway, I don't have Sky so at least the TV/PVR could be retuned so I did not get Manchester news - I get some of that from friends!
I have had some useful information from Mr Milton [as a change from his excellent jokes] but any other comments welcome.
MrToast
Grafter

Quote from: jmd

Well, in BBC terms Nottingham is classed as East Midlands and has a sub-opt from Birmingham. Sheffield, as has been noted, is part of North from Leeds. Hull is a sub-opt from Leeds.
You could get the Leeds progamme from Emley Moor or Nottingham from Waltham or Nottingham transmitters.
You may find this link useful.