cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you get music on to a ipod touch?

randpwar
Grafter

How do you get music on to a ipod touch?

I’m thinking of buying the lad an Ipod Touch for Xmas (actually I quite fancy one for myself as well!), however, I’m not too sure about how these things work. I usually rip a music cd to my pc, which (I think) creates .wma files. Can I then copy the ripped files to the ipod and be able to play them on it in the same way that I currently do for my mp3 player?  Will it automatically ‘find’ the album / single group/ track information and be able to display it in the same way as I assume it will for tracks downloaded from itunes? Will the 'flick through'  search system still work?
Any ideas?
17 REPLIES
Fixes: 105

Re: How do you get music on to a ipod touch?

The iPod won't support WMA, however iTunes will convert them into MP3 and synch up to your iPod.
When you import using iTunes you can then choose MP3 or AAC for your codec.
So yes once the import has finished it will have got all the info from WMA files and everything will work as it should Smiley
And I'm available to come out Warwick way to help set you up, for a hefty fee of course Tongue
Will Moderate For Thanks
Lurker
Grafter

The answer to your other questions is mostly 'yes' too.
For some tracks which don't have sufficient info stored with them for iTunes to be able to get the album covers etc, you might have to manually assign it - generally though, its pretty good - I only had to do a few out of a library of around 9000 tracks.
Everything else will work fine one iTunes converts them.
Also, once your iPod touch is associated with an iTunes account, you can buy tracks and download them (via WiFi) directly to your iPod Touch, without the need to use the PC. Tracks downloaded this way can then be synced back to the PC (automatically)
It sounds complex, but believe me - its all very straightforward and well explained in the app at every stage.
Lurker
Grafter

Oh yeah - because you need to download iTunes, its worth expecting the interwebs to be busy on xmas morning - download iTunes in advance and save to a memory stick that you can hide away - at least then he can install it and get started straight away.
randpwar
Grafter

Thanks guys, I appreciate the replies
@adie  That would be a hefty fee on Xmas day!!  Grin
Rob
Euge
Grafter

Also don't bother trying if you have 64 bit windows xp, thats what I have and apple don't support it so my ipod touch is now useless.
Lurker
Grafter

Surely you can just run it in a 32bit compatibility mode @Euge?
Euge
Grafter

I don't think there is a way to do that, I could be mistaken. Other things like internet explorer come with a 32 bit compatibility version which I use for all internet usage because 64 bit is mostly unsupported.
There used to be a workaround for it but since itunes was updated about 3 or 4 months ago it wont work anymore.
In a simplified way it changed one line in the code of the installer from 'If windows 64 bit then 0' to 'If 64 bit then 1' stupid but true.
The site I found my solution for but now no longer works.
http://yukichigai.googlepages.com/iphonex64
Lurker
Grafter

The 64/32 option you refer to for IE is an application level option with IE though isn't it?
All over the MS site there are references to running 32bit apps in WOW64
I presume you don't get an option in the context menu when you right-click (thinking like 'RunAs', but instead of different user, a 32bit/x86 option)
As you might have guessed - I have no experience of running an x64 OS, but I do have x64 hardware, and versions of x64 windows, so I can install it and investigate if necessary.
Euge
Grafter

"an application level option with IE though isn't it?"
Yes, if I understand you correctly it's precisely that. There are 2 separate .exe files to load up 32 and/or 64 bit IE which I think came with the windows setup.
I think unfortunately because of the microsoft and apple ongoing battle with each other, finding support is very hard. If it was possible to simply run in 32 bit mode I guess the guy who created the link I posted would have done it that way himself. There is no way to run it under compatibility mode AFAIK, although I long ago gave up trying after about 7 or 8 uninstall/reinstall.
Lurker
Grafter

Ah - I understand it now!
Ther has to be a flag set in the application to tell the OS to launch it as a 32 bit app, otherwise it tries to run it as 64bit, and fails (in the case of iTunes)
Thus, the link you gave earler must have related to altering the iTunes app to include this flag - telling your Win box to run it as a 32bit app.

So far, so little use to you.
But! XP x64 has a feature called Corflags - which allows you to specify that an app should be launched in 32bit mode, even when the app doesn't include the code to call the mode on its own.
Syntax:

CorFlags "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe" /32bit+

Clearly you might need to edit the path to make it point to iTunes - but you get the drift.
If you create a shortcut to iTunes, using the syntax above, it should work.
(Or you can test via Cmd or even "Run" dialog)
Or have you tried this?
Lurker
Grafter

As an aside - by default the program files for 32 bit apps is "C:\Program Files (x86)\" - The "C:\Program Files\" folder is reserved for x64 apps.
You could use "%ProgramFiles%\iTunes\iTunes.exe" as the path intead too - as it would work out to use the 32bit one since you were telling it to run a 32bit app.
Community Veteran

In my experience, the installer fails to run on 64bit, which is what the hack described "fixes".... and it no longer works.
So you're simply unable to install it at all.
B.
Euge
Grafter

I think Barry has hit the nail on the head. It more recently had issues recognising that I had service pack 2 installed (I know it is)  so it threw that up as a problem.
If I knew enough about computers I could probably try what you are suggesting James but I liked the yukuchigai solution because it gave me step by step and worked first time I did it.
"So you're simply unable to install it at all."
I thought I might be able to do what James suggested but with the itunes installer.
Lurker
Grafter

Your last line hits on the head what the next suggestion would be.
I'll try to install an x64 box later on to see if I can figure anything out.