cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you get an ebay to cover warranty?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

How do you get an ebay to cover warranty?

So we should have 12 months warranty on new goods sold in the UK.
But on ebay/paypal once 6 months have passed you have NO way of raising a compliant (that I could find, contact us is useless)
I have a faulty disk station that is 7 months old, and the seller is playing silly bu&&ers. I can't find anyway of getting my 12 month warranty covered.
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: How do you get an ebay to cover warranty?

you could try the credit card company if paypal charges it to them
Fixes: 125

Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act doesn't normally offer protection for purchases made through a third party and that is what PayPal is although[quote=http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/section-75-of-the-consumer-credit-act]Payments through Paypal
There are some transactions where the company that deals with your credit card payment is not the same as the one that provides the goods or service - such as Paypal.
If you use your credit card to pay for something through PayPal and the funds go direct to the seller, then as long as the company you're buying from has a 'Commercial Entity Agreement' with Paypal you may still be able to claim under Section 75 for any misrepresentation or breach of contract.
PayPal offers its own buyer protection scheme, called PayPal Buyer Protection, so it's worth checking if you'd be covered by that if you have a problem with your purchase.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Marksfish
Grafter

If the seller is a business seller, then Trading Standards is a good place to start. Was it a Buy it Now or Auction? Goods are only covered if you Buy it Now, any bidding renders your rights null and void (info given to me by Consumer Direct in the past).
I never keep any balance on my Paypal account, it is always £0. This way, everything I purchase is paid for off my credit card and I have a record to produce. Amex have come up trumps for me in the past when I have had a problem and I can prove a transaction.
Mark
Community Veteran

It was a business, and a bin.
I am the same most payments are via my CC.
Will raise it with them.
Community Veteran

Did the disk station have a manufacturer's warranty?
Community Veteran

Not really, the usual ebay stuff.