cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you do that?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

How do you do that?

Like most correspondents here I occasionally use the "quote" facility. But how do you add multiple quotes? I don't have a particular reason to do so at this time, just wondered how it was done.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
11 REPLIES
Fixes: 101

Re: How do you do that?

In the full post (as opposed to quick reply) there is a quote button, use that and just copy and paste what you want into between [ quote] [/quote ]
so..
Like most correspondents here I occasionally use the "quote" facility.

and
But how do you add multiple quotes?
Will Moderate For Thanks
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and you can stack tem one inside the other
and
But how do you add multiple quotes?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

IF you're also looknig to quote various replies, then in the reply screen/page if you scroll down and look at the replies listed in reverse order you'll see that on the right hand side there is a link saying 'Insert quote'.
Go ahead, try replying to this and then have a look below the text box at all the other replies posted and you'll see what I mean  Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Doh! thanks guy's, easy when you know how, especially the one about looking at the list of replies below...how dim can you get!!

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 101

no comment Tongue
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Oi!!

Lurker
Grafter

From the chap with the dimmest Avatar...
Community Veteran

Well pointed out, I feel better now!!

Community Veteran

Couple of points:
One is to bear in mind that whilst nested quotes are useful, they should be used with some restraint as they start to look confusing very quickly; generally speaking, if you're going beyond one nested level you're probably going over the top.
The other is to expand on okrzynska's method. One thing not mentioned thus far is the fact that when you do things that way (or by initiating a reply by clicking on a post's ‘quote’ button), you also attach some additional header data to the quote, which makes the post from which it originates easier to track down. For example:
Oi!!

Quote from: Petlew
Oi!!

Spot the difference. Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

The extra information not only makes it easier to track down, but is a clickable link to the quoted post!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

…which is how it's made easier to track down. Tongue