Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do they do it?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

How do they do it?

Hey gang..
Right I recently found a tune on youtube from my favourite group. It's a great tune in their usual style and it's quite clearly their work.. or so you would think!
Anyway today while looking at their latest album i realised it's not part of it - the album with their finest and greatest works. Now I remembered a YT comment about it being fake so went back to look. Reading more comments it became obvious from the other users that it actually is not made by the group - someone else has written the music and laid the groups vocals over it and mixed it up to make a VERY good track that you could swear is one of their own.
So my question is this.. you can't extract vocals from a mixed song so where do DJs and the like get these single tracks / layers from other groups songs when they make their own mixes? - Is there some sort of exchange program between the record companies or can anyone get hold of the individual tracks /. layers of a song from some special website / organisation?
Many thanks..
7up
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: How do they do it?

Some groups (like Nine Inch Nails) actively encourage their fans to remix their songs and release the individual vocals / instrumental / layers etc.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I`m not 100percent sure.  but I think I had a program where you could actually split the video from the audio track...
Certainly remember there being two timelines and other track indications on the bottom of the screen... was too complicated for me to work, and I found another easier to use program... I only wanted to join bits of the same song from different artistes, to make a composite...
Fixes: 125

7up wasn't talking about extracting the audio from a combined video/audio mix rather extracting parts of the audio -  vocal, instruments, etc -  from the audio mix. Nigh on impossible to do.
There are ways to remove vocals but can be tricky and often unsuccessful.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Quote from: DomS
Some groups (like Nine Inch Nails) actively encourage their fans to remix their songs and release the individual vocals / instrumental / layers etc.

Yep.
A growing number of artists make their original multitrack recordings available to actively encourage remixing.
Public Enemy and Moby are two others that spring to mind, there's been many others.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

there are a range or products that allow a person to do this sort of thing without the aid of artists original multitrack recordings like autotune or celemony or various forensic audio software but I don't know how cheap or easy to get hold of such programs are (I remember doing wave form editing years ago with sound forge and that was a complete PITA
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you