cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How did he do that?

N/A

How did he do that?

James_G has a dinky little avatar which has been amusing me ever since he first set it up.
Please can he tell me how he did it? I am intrigued!
10 REPLIES
Fixes: 105

Re: How did he do that?

It's just 2 animated gif's that are in synch. He's *not* that clever Tongue
Will Moderate For Thanks
Lurker
Grafter

Cheers Adie. Tongue
But the footer one was too big to comply with the forum rules, so when I re-sized it, I got it a little out of sync.
I need to re-do it to get the same number of frames in each gif again, but haven't had time recently for stuff like that.
Fixes: 105

Pleasure is all mine Cheesy
Will Moderate For Thanks
N/A

Well I think it's very good and I would love to do something similar with a doggie so if ever James has the time to explain the procedure
in simple terms I would be a happy lady.
Lurker
Grafter

Basically, an animated gif is a number of frames which play in a continuous loop over and over.
If you are familiar with the schoolday pastime of sketching figures in the corner of notebooks, then flicking through the pages rapidly you'll know the concept.
You draw a simple image, then another similar one showing the next stage, then another, etc
To get the two to look like they work simultaneously, the footer one starts with lots of blank frames. The avatar one ends with lots of blank frames.
When we had the individual ISP boards, the PN mods used to play around a bit with Gif's (Johnessex taught me the basics - he was the first person to be awarded 'Legend' status that James B now has)
John used to make avatars for all the mods to use for certain events - eg fireworks ones, Xmas, New Year etc. He also used to animate avatars for people (his avatar was a photo of himself, with occassionally twinkling eyes - he did a similar thing with a cat for a chap called Geoff who used to frequent the boards)
He also created the bright spark rank avatar IIRC.

You can download programs to piece together the individual frames from the interweb, but many of them insert a couple of frames of adverts too.
Its a rewarding process though, if you have the time to play around with things.
PS. Have you heard about www.simonscat.com ?
There is one about a dog too. Wink
N/A

Thanks for the explanation James, which I understand but  probably couldn't do. I knew that it was clever work (well, to me anyway).
I will have a look at the link.  Smiley
Euge
Grafter

is it too late to say Magic!  Crazy ?
Lurker
Grafter

http://www.animationfactory.com/en/help/tutorial_gif.html
Thie is probably a better explanation than mine, and also includes a link to a trial version of a Gif assembly program. Smiley
@Euge - "Elektrickery" might have been acceptable at this stage, but doubtful nonetheless. Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Is simonscat the one that was on BBC Breakfast, was it yesterday or Monday?
Lurker
Grafter

Dunno - I don't get a chance to watch morning telly (I'm at my desk by 7.30 most mornings)