Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How could you promote the worst product for you firm

TORPC
Grafter

How could you promote the worst product for you firm

As per title
Scenario
Your boss has just secured a major deal with a software company which has the worst failing product(s) known to man, woman, child and beast
The boss sends everyone including you an internal memo to start selling the product ASAP, that you absolutely hate with a passion and know hand on heart that the product will most likely cause issues on customers devices, however no bonuses or incentives are offered.
How would or do you cope ?Huh
Edit:
Amended spelling mistake before the forum spelling blues & two's comes after me
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: How could you promote the worst product for you firm

Give it away free with cornflakes  Wink
TORPC
Grafter

Its called sell sell sell sell Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Price it up more expensive than all the alternatives, bang on about how great it is with great tech support and how it's got the latest cutting edge tech etc.
Thats what Bill Gates did with his pile of ****  Cheesy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
TORPC
Grafter

That said Bill Gates was obviously in denial, so was Steve Jobs etc, Roll eyes
Community Veteran

I never really understood Steve Jobs or his iproducts. What was so great about a small MP3 player with a few buttons?
I remember 10 years ago peple having the first ipods and claiming how great they were. They looked featureless. Somehow though from that apple has got bigger and better. An OS that is somewhat quirky about releasing apps for vs a free alternative from google that is user friendly plus a highly expensive price to go with it vs the lower priced devices?
Just goes to show really, you can have any old trash and as long as you put a high price on it people will believe it's worth buying  Crazy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Offer free copies of Dilbert Cartoons to prospective buyers.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Quote from: Midnight

I could imagine trying to sell this for google.
RichAllen
Grafter

Do what Sony do with all 4 Playstations, hype it up as THE best thing ever, and get fanboys of the brand who would buy used toilet paper if your company's brand name was on it to buy it in droves.
For the record I don't like Sony, their consoles suck, their games are too easy to Pirate, and they make crap phones that don't work, a bit like Samsung really.
nanotm
Pro

Quote from: TORPC
As per title
Scenario
Your boss has just secured a major deal with a software company which has the worst failing product(s) known to man, woman, child and beast
The boss sends everyone including you an internal memo to start selling the product ASAP, that you absolutely hate with a passion and know hand on heart that the product will most likely cause issues on customers devices, however no bonuses or incentives are offered.
How would or do you cope ?Huh

it would rather depend what the software was, if its an OS there all as bad as each other, if its something like cyberlink's junk then it does sell itself if you discount it with a decent bit of software (that you inflate the price of to cover the difference so you end up making a profit)
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
TORPC
Grafter

If I say it is the worst AV of all the big Players
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Tell them to get it free from Plusnet then you can get all the referrals  Crazy Crazy
TORPC
Grafter

@ OldJim
lmao
I see your logic however the firm in question could end up in receivership due to lack of sales Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Quote from: RichAllen
For the record I don't like Sony, their consoles suck, their games are too easy to Pirate, and they make [Censored] phones that don't work, a bit like Samsung really.

Sony are world leaders inquality electronic products. Games consoles are just that though, games consoles. They're not (IMO) serious pieces of entertainment hardware like the TV or HDD recorder.
As for Samsung, once upon a time I would have agreed with you. These days however I personally think that they make excellent products. They've gone from PC assemblers to making screens and other new tech advances in quite a short time. 10 years ago Samsung stuff was just boring PCs that they put together like a home builder. Now they make everything and thats incredible.
nanotm
Pro

Quote from: TORPC
If I say it is the worst AV of all the big Players

panda isn't that bad if your 5 yrs old.............
seriously though offer it as a freebie within a bundle of other software that you hype the price of to cover all the parts and inflate the individual selling price of the programs which should in turn make the bundle appear cheaper allowing you to stick a "buy all of this and save 45%" sticker on the package, there's always plenty of tools who will buy a sale item irrespective of it actually being a saving Smiley
marketers have been doing such things for years, just look at New Look, they overprice stuff in their oxford street branch then put a "sale" sticker on it at every other branch a month later offing it at SRP with a demarcation that the product was "offered at the higher price for a minimum of a two week period"
and that's just one example but I could use plenty of others
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you