How close?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

How close?

16 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: How close?

tell that to the Red Arrows  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lincolnshire/8583263.stm
todays news
A pilot is taken to hospital after ejecting from the crash
The pilot suffered a dislocated arm and minor abrasions
A Red Arrows pilot has been taken to hospital after a mid-air crash between two display planes during a training exercise in Crete.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: journeys
methinks this is digitally enhanced.

Uhmm! you may be right. Could be the foreshortening effect of using a long telephoto lens making the Typhoon appear much closer than it is. But then I would expect the foreground crew to be way out of focus and, they're not. On the other hand I would have expected the Typhoon to be much sharper and less washed out looking than it is.
Can't believe any of the air forces currently flying the grossly expensive Typhoon risking (not to mention the pilot and crew of the other aircraft) one on a stunt like this. 
So I'm with you journeys
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

And why is the sky green fading to black on the last pic? Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Having had another look...If the Typhoon had been flying that close and presumably fairly slowly to keep station with the other aircraft, the fore-planes would have been at some considerable camber rather than the almost flat they are. To fly slowly, the Typhoon has a very considerable angle-of-attack. Its only a guess but maybe the Typhoon was actually stationary on the ground at the time it was photographed.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 104

Totally photoshopped.. having done something similar involving people it looks pretty obvious.
Slight edging on 2nd photo round the nose cone for a start.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

@Petlew...is that a dead giveaway?, Isn't the Typhoon the Eurofighter (I'm not sure), are there any in the US Airforce?
Community Veteran

Yes, the Europeans know it as the Eurofighter, we call it the Typhoon. Which is what you said a different way.
No I don't think the Americans have got any. But wouldn't be surprised if Typhoon has been to the states on exercise.

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Quote from: adiewoo
Totally photoshopped..

I would say your wrong.  Have a look a gane in full screen at this one and this one.
Fixes: 104

Gary that's your default position on everything I say Tongue
Will Moderate For Thanks
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

@adiewoo, I nely spilt my coffee over my keyboard reading that.  Wink
Community Veteran

Surely anyone standing that close to those jet intakes, wouldn't be worried about getting the shot - just surviving would be enough!
Community Veteran

Question on "photoshop", I use a camera to record places and events, mainly geology/geomorphology not as an art form.
I was just outside Sheffield yesterday helping with a reptile survey and met a local photographer. (he was stood in a patch of adders at the time)
Wondered if any of his photographs are Natural or have been airbrushed, any opinions.
see here http://www.geoffsimpsonphotography.com/
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I sometimes get a Magazine called Outdoor Photography by GMC Publications,  http://www.thegmcgroup.com/item--Outdoor-Photography-Issue-124-Mar-10--OP124-0310.html  Cant afford the machinery, but like the articles and sample,  The latest edition has an article on this, faking photo's  the feeling seemed to be about 50%.  There were a lot of samples and what they did
A) mix two photo's together to get a image
B) using dead animals posed - one was a road kill buzzard hung on a fence as though a gamekeeper had done it.  The photgrapher was questioned by the police
David_W
Rising Star

Quote from: Petlew
Yes, the Europeans know it as the Eurofighter, we call it the Typhoon. Which is what you said a different way.
No I don't think the Americans have got any. But wouldn't be surprised if Typhoon has been to the states on exercise.

Rumour has it that the Typhoon/Eurofighter was in the US for testing and went up against the shiny new US fighter, the F22-Raptor, which as we all know has stealth whilst the Eurofighter doesn't (although it is stealthy by design).  Anyhow, the Eurofighter obtained a BVR lock on the F22 which would have resulted in the F22 being destroyed in a fight.  Needless to say the testing was called off and no-one talks about it for fear of embarrassing the US Airforce.
I love the Typhoon, it has a lot of critics saying it has no place in the modern worlds battles so it's being built for a purpose that'll never exist, but it's still a beautiful machine.