cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How about Mis-pronounced words....

brianex121
Grafter

Re: How about Mis-pronounced words....

I loved reading  those contributions abt mispronounced words. How about actions?  Anyone else bothered
by the new TV style of "acting" the news whilst reading it?  For example one female newsreader's eyebrow use is amazing.  And her
arms, whilst standing beside a presentation screen, flailling about with the story (presumably) clutched in one hand. 
If I say her initials are FB ..... But she's not the only culprit  Give me straight and uncommented-on news presentation any day - without the gestures and nodding heads when we're waiting for the link to the correspondent in the US.    And while I'm on, how about those who start a reply by saying "Myself and Joe Bloggs..... etc etc"    English just doesn't allow 'myself' as a substitute  in this case.  Why not the simpe, "Joe Bloggs and I ....."  Enough already.
Community Veteran

Quote from: hulls
Either they're plural or singular, they can't be both.  That just derives from sloppy thinking.

You'll have probably guessed by now that I'm going to disagree. Tongue One of the reasons I love the English language is the fact it has so many nuances which offer many possibilities for linguistic creativity and precise expression. And this, I feel, is just another of those nuances. The choosing of 'is' or 'are' isn't arbitrary; it's based on where, exactly, the writer/speaker wishes to place emphasis - either on the group as a single unity, or on the group as a collection of individual and differentiable members. Of course, that's not to say that some people don't take any notice of the subtle difference and write what they like anyway - and I must admit that I myself sometimes have difficulty deciding whether to treat something as singular or plural - but I don't think it's fair to label it as a result of 'sloppy thinking' when it can certainly be more than that. Smiley
techguy
Grafter

@brianex121
It'd be a bit of a sad day if we went back to the news delivery ways of old, has to be a bit entertaining as the news they have delivered recently has all been bad.
Community Veteran

Be3G
I appreciate your points, and would agree, if I thought for an instant that most, or even some, people put that amount of thought into their  sentence construction.  Unfortunately our language, with all it's beauty and nuance as you say, is being degraded instead by barely literate ex-sportsmen come commentators who wouldn't know a verb from a viburnum, and don't have a first language, and I think that's why there is confusion over this point.
Still thanks for the debate.  Smiley  By all means keep varying how you treat collective nouns, and when I read your posts, I will take note of whether you are pointing to the individuals concerned or the collective whole.  Wink
John
Community Veteran

Heh, yes, I certainly agree about the degrading of the language in that regard. Still, as you say, good debate. Smiley And I've just noticed a silly error in my previous post...
community
Grafter

Quote from: Be3G
Heh, yes, I certainly agree about the degrading of the language in that regard. Still, as you say, good debate. Smiley And I've just noticed a silly error in my previous post...

Da, ya dumayu shto ti govorish angliski  like a native
да я думаю што ты говориш англиский  like a native
Only joking Cheesy
poka
Community Veteran

Замолчи Tongue
Fixes: 220

MOD....Rule Breach Wink Grin

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 66.0 (64-bit)

Heloman
Grafter

Just a couple of comments.
1. I think Be3G won this discussion on points. I'm an old style grammarian, but even I (or the Americans) wouldn't say "the Cabinet took it's seat around the table".  Unless it/they were playing musical chairs!.
2. Isn't this discussion meant to be about pronunciation, not grammar?  Aren't there any current, rather than just former, moderators here?
Smiley
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
MOD....Rule Breach Wink Grin

I know I know... realised that while I was posting. Sad
Quote from: Heloman
Isn't this discussion meant to be about pronunciation, not grammar?  Aren't there any current, rather than just former, moderators here?

The general chit-chat forum isn't moderated for off-topicness as far as I'm aware... it's supposed to be a very easy-going forum where the conversation can drift in any direction it chooses.
Heloman
Grafter

You missed the smiley out of my quote!
I was just teasing about your sig........
community
Grafter

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/19/google_voice/
You see! The  americans  not only gave us the credit crunch but also the US-english  Angry
Community Veteran

oh, we have to push back against that.  if we don't we'll end up with one homogenous accent and no variation, which is what makes english so much fun.  google will have to learn more regional variation.  the computer learns me, not the other way around.
Fixes: 220

Quote from: artificer
the computer learns me

Tch..tch. That should be 'the computer teaches me'        Wink Smiley

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 66.0 (64-bit)

Community Veteran

au contraire, strat.  i mean what i say.  the computer should learn my voice.  i shouldn't have to modify my way of speaking to suit the machine.  google needs to be better programmed to accept a wider range of accents.