Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Weird (or not) is that?

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

How Weird (or not) is that?

....... when on Earth Day the National Grid announces it's first coal-free day since the Industrial Revolution Thumbs Up

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39675418

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
14 REPLIES
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Re: How Weird (or not) is that?

But did they say were the power was generated ? Gas or what , or was it a low consumption day
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Minivanman
Hero

From the news item..... 

"According to Gridwatch.co.uk, around half of British energy on Friday came from natural gas, with about a quarter coming from nuclear plants. Wind, biomass, and imported energy were also used"

Smiley

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
alanf
Aspiring Pro

So some of the electricity used may have been generated by coal just not at British power stations.

A bit like reducing CO2 emissions by shutting down British industry and getting somewhere else in the world to make things and emit the CO2 for us.

Community Veteran

The headline is not strictly accurate. We've some soft skinned relatives from London visiting Adair Towers at the moment. Our kitchen, where we have breakfast, is unheated with a brick floor. So it is quite chilly in the morning.  We had a coal fire going most of the day to keep them warm Wink

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

What I don't get is that they say it like it's something to be proud of.

Closing mines, decimating the UK coal industry, ignoring an abundant local resource, and using up natural gas which was originally earmarked for home use only.

Not making any plans for modern cleaner coal fired power stations instead spending many times the cost chasing the dream of new atomic power stations which will leave us pollution problems for centuries to come.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

according to gridwatch , at the moment we import more that what Renewable,s produce 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

With the combination of NIMBYs, Environmentalists, and political ineptitude, we're never going to get any new, cleaner energy supplies, so buy up them diesel & petrol-fuelled generators now, cos in 10 years time, we'll be back to a 3-day week, for a lot longer than it was back in the 70s... Funny

Minivanman
Hero

I'm sure we must @rongtw if the Port Talbot steelworks here in Wales is anything to go by! Australian coal I think.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Australian coal, please tell me you're not serious.

agedgopher
Aspiring Pro

I worked as a visitor guide a the coal fired power station near us and a lot of their coal came from Australia. There were also considerable quantities imported from the USA and Russia.

Minivanman
Hero

@Mook

Well I might be wrong but I'm sure I read somewhere that Australia was the world’s second largest producer of coking coal - and that's what they use in Port Talbot so it sort of makes sense daft as it sounds.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

@agedgopher, @Minivanman - Don't you think that's criminal, I'm no expert on the UK mining industry (as was) but surely there must be a source here in blighty. Think of the carbon footprint alone shipping that in -v- the cost of a UK based source, it makes my head hurt.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

From Australia we import to  UK – .4% ($141M) coal but that's a drop in the ocean Japan – 34% ($12B)

then  China- 24% ($8.55B) .

so the fact we had one day with no coal fired generators ,  the greenhouse gas emissions we stopped  that one day made absolutely NO difference . Crazy2

agedgopher
Aspiring Pro

@Mook

The major factor in deciding where to source coal supplies from is the sulphur ( sorry it is sulfur now) content. This is  one of the major contributors to acid rain. There more than adequate supplies of coal from within Europe particularly the Eastern Europe region but the sul(f)phur content is too high to burn in an environmentally manner.

If we believe past British governments then the cost of extracting UK coal is prohibitive. Power stations were modified to remove the SO2 produced by combustion and the gas was passed through powdered limestone to produce gypsum. This was used to produce plasterboard which is now treated as hazardous waste at most  council tips.