cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To Cut Council Tax

Community Veteran

How To Cut Council Tax

I wish we had a few more mayors like this one.  It would certainly cut the council tax.
http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/122439/The-maverick-mayor
29 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: How To Cut Council Tax

do you mean to say you believe whats printed in the Express    
Community Veteran

Yes, and the man was also interviewed on TV and they had the same details. Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Strange really, because Mayors of every other town (as opposed to Lord Mayors in cities) have no power or authority whatsoever. They are just a token.  How he did it is amazing!
Community Veteran

well I heard him on the radio only last week - and I can believe some of it. He was very vocal about reducing the number of councillors - saying we had more representatives - such as councillors, MP's, devolved parliament representatives, and MEP than many other countries ( I haven't been able to check the validity of that statement ) . And with that I agree, but some of his other policies are rather too radical for me.
But I agree P-P - the Express is not the best rag to read if you need unbiased facts.
The only time I used to buy it was to look at the photographs of Daily Express photographer Vic Blackman - who also did a regular column in Amateur Photographer.  Grin
Community Veteran

@Nozzer,  I guess that as leader of the council he will have certain powers which he seems keen to exercise.  Good luck to him if he gets value for money for the local people.
mal, which newspaper do you go to for your unbiased view?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Totally agree with him on getting rid of the "excess", when I used to work for Edinburgh Council, every time the "councilor" had a problem it was drop everything and fix them first. They need to be reminded that they are public SERVANTS not the other way round, same for the majority of MP/MEP/MSP/M(anything they can get)P
The fat pays and poor performance of them is ridiculous, they get more holidays than school teachers, have 2 (or more) houses and get paid to do so. Why do we need to pay for some xP's Sky subscription or 50" Plasma tv? Crazy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Community Veteran

Not a single paper  as none will give that unbiased view - and I buy them everyday but I read The Scotsman ( rather right wing Edinburgh), Herald - similar but from Glasgow, The Courier - a DC Thomson of Dundee paper, The Independent, The Guardian, but now of course several websites either from those papers, but others BBC, and international ones.
You just have to exercise caution of course as all sources are biassed.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Its just as bad with the TV News At lunch time it is possible to watch Chan 4, then Five, then BBC, then ITV,  you would think they are all broadcast from different countries, hardly ever is an article repeated in another channel
Community Veteran

Thanks for the video link Jim.  Contains the same details as the Express report Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

yes but they got it two months before the Rag 
Page last updated at 06:50 GMT, Wednesday, 24 June 2009 07:50 UK
Community Veteran

Think it must happen:-  17% of UK households have no work
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8222145.stm
Council taxes and rents being subsidised for the unemployed (No argument from me, its necessary,  but at least local and central government could encourage young unemployed with a National Community Training and Service Scheme, give them some hope).
With deflation and RPI going down, hardly a chance to increase council taxes for the rest of us.
With Central government's coffers being empty. Councils will have to cut their expenditure to suit their income.
I've argued before that both MP's and Councillors jobs should be voluntary (Travel and food expenses allowed) with a maximum stay in office of 2 terms.
but that was another thread (not here)

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Thats another fact I am dubious about,  Houses with  no people who work - so what. No one in my house has been employed since the end of 1996,  - I am retired - sorry you cant work my age out from that took early retirement
Community Veteran

Pierre, good point, early retirees, student households etc. should have been factoured in.
A workless household is defined by the ONS as a home which includes at least one person of working age, where nobody aged 16 or over is in employment.
As a result, the workless household figure is higher than the number of people who are counted unemployed - 2.35 million - as it includes people such as early retirees, full-time students or those receiving disability benefit who are not included in the official unemployment statistics