Fixes: 1

Re: How Much ?

Grumpy maybe, gullible definitely not. :wink:

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

@dvorak wrote:
you lot really are a bunch of grumpy gits Grin Cheesy

One day, my son.... all this will be yours...   ! ! 

ffox
Pro

I don't know if you others use the cleaners yourselves.  I've been the operator in our house since my wife's initial hip problem 15 years ago.  I suffer from lumbar stenosis which means I need to take a rest after working on my feet for 20+ minutes.

Until recently I used a top-rated corded machine (Meile, Dyson and SEBO) but my wife treated me to a cordless Dyson last summer.  (I tested other brands, but found them all a bit heavy or unwieldy for work above floor level.)  The big difference going cordless has made is speed - the time taken has been halved, and so has the pain.

I don't know what you guys value your time at, but say it's £30 per hour. At that rate the extra cost is paid for in a few weeks. I think that's quite good value.  (Of course, that doesn't apply if someone else is doing the work. :tongue:)

Dyson are on dodgy ground with each update providing bigger batteries and more electronics.  The V11 is 25% heavier than the V10 (without the floor tool) and I would find that extra weight a bit much.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Three cheers for one little boy... and Henry  :thumbsup:

ffox
Pro

I had to resurrect this thread because of a report in the paper today.

The Rubens Hotel (the nearest one to Buck House) has a new type of tea called Golden Tips on the afternoon tea menu.  The usual Royal Afternoon Tea costs £63 (with a glass of champagne), but if you have Golden Tips the price goes up to £500 pp!  

jab1
Hero
Fixes: 19

@ffox  Seriously?? I don't drink tea, but if did, there's no way on earth I'd even look at that.  Pure stupidity!!:shocked:

John
ffox
Pro

Yes, I'm serious.  Click on the link and scroll down.  :smiley:

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

@ffox 

Just crazy what some people will pay for a cup of tea.

:smiley:

NB: Don't suppose you have the post code by any chance ?

:wink:

jab1
Hero
Fixes: 19

@gleneagles The Palace is (I believe ) SW1A 1AA

John
TTman
Seasoned Pro

@ffox I dont think id want to pp for long time after paying that!!!:laugh:

TTman
Seasoned Pro

Talking expensive....Lotus have brought out a new car The Evija...Electric powered...0 to 62 in 3 seconds...top speed 186mph...Price £2million only making 130.:cool::wink:

wotsup
Champion

James Dyson did not invent the vortex, it had been used in industrial air filters for many years, I remember him saying he saw it in action at his local woodyard when he was small, used for separating the sawdust. That is why he could not patent it and many other makers came out with bag less cleaners soon after he did.  Vacuum cleaner companies had a nice little earner selling bags for their cleaners, Dyson had no vested interest in selling bags and wanted to sell expensive cleaners instead....  Dyson does seem to charge eye-watering prices for products, and as for development costs, if they are spread over 100s of thousands or millions of sales they come out as pence or  £'s not hundreds of pounds....

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 4

@wotsup wrote:

James Dyson did not invent the vortex, it had been used in industrial air filters for many years, I remember him saying he saw it in action at his local woodyard when he was small, used for separating the sawdust. That is why he could not patent it ...

You're quite right.  Several times in the past I've told people who said it was a Dyson idea about a large rough-terrain fork-lift that I used to drive many years ago which had a primary dust catcher (before the main air-filter) fitted to the top of the vertical air intake.  This comprised of a simple transparent vortex arrangement.with a removable part which caught most of the dust before the air entered the main air-filter, and very effective it was too, needing emptying at least once on most days.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Years back (and I do mean years back) a H&V company I worked at for a short time used to manufacture and install what they called cyclones. These were huge sheet metal cones that were fed with scrap paper or wood particle from the top that then spun and fell by weight to the bottom where it was bailed and shipped to wherever.

Fascinating to watch such a simple yet effective operation and still used of course - in fact a saw mill not far from us has one, although what they do with all that bailed up sawdust I've no idea. There are only so many pet hamsters in the world y'know!