Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Much!

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

How Much!

Seems a diner was given wrong bottle of wine.

Instead of one costing 'only' £260, she was given one costing... £4500.

My heart bleeds. I thought Manchester was all Coronation Street anyway?

Some folks really do live on a different planet - certainly from the one I occupy. I'd not even pay the usual inflated price of wine in a restaurant anyway - not that we eat out much these days.

A cup of tea and a packet of crisps it is then.

Cheers, or not. Smiley  

16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Re: How Much!

"only £260" You have to laugh at that. I blanch at the price of a coffee, or fish and chips which I haven't had for many years.
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

I’d like to reserve a table for tonight, with the same waiter please.

Highlighted
Fixes: 394

The article I read said that the diner didn't notice the difference between the £260 bottle and the £4500 one.

Are we surprised?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

Apparently they ordered a second bottle though, but there wasn't another available.

Highlighted
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 873

I’ve never gone for a wine (or whisky) above £100 but I’d imagine there’s not much of a difference compared to the more expensive bottles.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Gandalf 

Now I'm intrigued, what did you go for that was near the £100 mark?

Most I've paid is £15 for a bottle of Chateau Neuf de pap, and £35 for a Glen Garioch single malt. 

Highlighted
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 873

It was a Yamazaki 12 year single malt. A quick Google search tells me it’s around £120 now so I may have paid a little more than £100. As it was a good 4 or 5 years ago I can’t remember exactly. One of the best ever from Japan though alongside the Islay Ardbeg Uigeadail.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Ah right, I knew the Japanese made some good stuff, but out of my league and definitely not out of my pocket! Hope you enjoyed. (no emoji here for dead jealous) Smiley

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 12

@Gandalf wrote:
I’ve never gone for a wine (or whisky) above £100 but I’d imagine there’s not much of a difference compared to the more expensive bottles.

There's been plenty of blind tests that prove people can't tell the difference between even the cheapest wines and more expensive wines...

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Well there is certainly a difference, guaranteed.

As regards the paying thousands it seems that apart from the exorbitant amount the restaurant sticks on top, rarity plus somebody else's credit card is the reason for such a sky high price tag.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48294870

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@DaveyH wrote:

There's been plenty of blind tests that prove people can't tell the difference between even the cheapest wines and more expensive wines...

I don't know about that. You haven't lived Cheesy until you've had a taste of Dalat Red. Evil stuff and even on a blind test I can guarantee you'll taste the difference. Same like some 'wine' I tried on a trip to Lanzarote, The tour guide was quite right when he replied to a question, that it was an acquired taste.

I think the most I've ever splurge out on a bottle of plonk was about £20. Nice but worth it? Nah, give me a cider any day!

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@idonno 

What is an interesting test is the one between red and white.

You can either use a blindfold or like a wine tasting I went to once in Sancerre, have it served in black glasses. It really is difficult although if I do say so myself, I managed to get it right!  Azn

@DaveyH is half right in that some cannot tell the difference and for me I find it hard to tell a good white from a bad one, but I do know a bad one from a good one if that makes sense. More a red wine man m'self whereas the Mrs plumps for rosé.  

Weekends only for us usually and only then if we have a tenner to spare after shopping for a half decent plonk.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Wines get hyped up a lot, read the label.......hints of plum, blackberries, chocolate etc......personally I have never been able to identify most of the things described on the label.

It is said your taste changes with age, perhaps that's true for me a wine has to be smooth and not acidic.

Only ever drink red wine, once on holiday went to a wine tasting, mostly white wine, tasted like paraffin to me yet people. were buying bottles of it.

Personal taste.

As for whisky I stick to JD spending money on anything else would be a waste in my case.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Not one for Bourbon m'self although there was a time back in the 70s when Southern Comfort was the thing.

As you say @gleneagles, personal taste.

When I can afford it I usually go for a nice Irish whiskey like Jameson. For anything else I have to wait until it's either my birthday, father's day, or Christmas!