cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Much ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

How Much ?

Talk about Suck Cess... that`s Suck as in you and me, the consumer... SUCKers... and Cess as in profits or exCESS...

Just seen the advert on the telly for the latest DYSON vacuum cleaner.. ( won`t taint the original name )

Now... I know there is a lot of techy stuff in the background to pay for..and most of that is lost in development costs, etc... .but he has taken his production to the other side of the world, for cheap labour, ie. cost cutting..

Looking at the actual item... what does it consist of...

About 2 feet of 2 inch plastic drain pipe... a spout on the bottom end, ( with other types of spout available - 5 in all ). and a motor at the top end, with a formulated handle containing a battery, & charging circuit possibly and a waste receptacle. 

all that will set you ( suckers) back THREE HUNDRED AND FIFTY QUID... You do get a penny change though... !

Just because its a DYSON.... How can he justify that price  ? ?  

Yeah... alright... not for me...

52 REPLIES 52
Community Veteran
Fixes: 43

Re: How Much ?

I think you’ve answered your own question @shutter, i.e. ‘development costs’. The real question is how much would it have been if it were built in the UK?

Community Veteran

@Mook   The "development costs" in his case are now "minimal"... just a few design changes. to his original concept... to produce this particular model, will not have impacted his profit margins enough to justify charging so much for each individual item... his production run will be in the high thousands, bringing the cost per part/unit part/completed item down to pennies..

I estimate that the actual cost of making one would be less than £50, including labour in whatever far eastern country he now uses.

He knows he is a "cult" figure, and he is something of a "must have" in the world of the chav`s.... so he capitalises on that.. ( and who can blame him... )  what I see, though is excess profit in the form of greed.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Yes indeedy @shutter and suckers all to pay that price but that's marketing for needs we don't always need.

The Mrs hauls around one of the Henry hoovers and whilst they do the job, lugging one up and down stairs is no fun so we had been looking at buying one of those Dyson types, but not at that price and the cheap and cheerful ones look just that, cheap and cheerful. 

idonno
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@Mook wrote:  The real question is how much would it have been if it were built in the UK?

Built outside London, probably cheaper. Singapore isn't exactly a cheap place to live. Easily more expensive than London.

I bought a Dyson many years ago (when they were a bit cheaper and the rage of 'must haves'). One thing I learnt very early on is they don't like serious dust; like you get if you knock down a wall. But I couldn't fault the customer service. They sent out this part, that part, such that it was nigh on rebuilt as new. Only problem I found then was it didn't seem to like the flagstone floors either. Filter would clog up, wash, clog up.

I gave up and bought a Vax for about £50. 7 years on, its still running happy.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 43

Yes, to an extent @shutter they will but ongoing research and development does not come cheap.

But if the price of this vacuum gives you the heebie-jeebies then for goodness sake stop reading now, as the cost of one of their hair dryers is only £20.01 less than this vacuum not to mention the lamp they have at £400, yep, that’s not a typo 400!

Fixes: 619

Opposite experience to you, had a Dyson for 15 years and collected everything we through at it - including tiled floors and building works - until eventually the motor died.
On our second one now and that's still going strong after 4 years.

Like anything you pays your money and makes your choice.

I don't think that makes me a sucker @shutter, did my research and happy with the results.

You probably buy things that I would balk at.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Fixes: 317

If Apple made hair dryers......Wink

It must be nice to be in the position where you can price your products as high as you wish and people will buy.

Dyson, Apple and 'designer clothing' to name but 3.

Edit: typo

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 69.0.3 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

We do live in a world where some folk are not happy unless they not only pay through the nose for stuff, but they are seen to be doing so. 

Now where did I put my Fortnum and Mason carrier bag. Smiley 

Community Veteran

@Minivanman wrote:

, lugging one up and down stairs is no fun so we had been looking at buying one of those Dyson types, but not at that price and the cheap and cheerful ones look just that, cheap and cheerful. 

Are you serious?   there`s nowt much difference in the look of that Goblin one, compared to the one on the telly....  Dyson still managest to "look cheap and cheerful"... despite its price....

we have a VAX, that.... agreed, is heavy and not easy to use coming down the stairs backwards, with the machine hanging off my left hand, whilst the right hand is doing the hoovering !... and YES, we do have a very lightweight vacuum, that I use for the stairs...

it is not much more than a mains version of the "cheap and cheerful" 12volt vacuum that they used to sell for cleaning the car... BUT>>>> IT DOES THE JOB>.. so why pay DYSON rip-off prices...

I suppose in the end, it boils down to "Suck it and See"  ! ! ! 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

Not only are Dysons expensive but if you ever take it in for repairs you need deep pockets. We had a Dyson for 3 years and it certainly cleaned well, kept cutting out and taken in for a estimate.....not much short of £ 100....which included vat.

Purchased a Henry which was on offer at £ 85.....normally around the £ 100 mark but it could not be simpler, replacement motors are available and it's a easy diy job, not that I have had to it.

Out of interest I took the dyson to bits, never seen so many different parts, no wonder repairs cost so much, guess you could be lucky like @dvorak  and have no problems but equallyyou might not be lucky.

If you ever stay in a hotel or similar place look at the vacuum cleaners they use there........I bet it's a Henry. !

And no I have not done any research to confirm that but if anyone wants to sponsor me to stay at the best hotels in the country I would be willing to do the research.

Smiley

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

I'm not a Dyson fan, but I quite fancied a Dyson bladeless fan until I saw the price; £300 for a fan (and it doesn't even have any blades Grin ).

Moulinex, better known for manufacturing food processors, marketed an upright vacuum cleaner in the 1980s.  I bought one in 1983, probably because it was the only one within my tight budget having just bought my first flat.  About three months before its 27th birthday it started smoking (it really should know better at that age!) and smelling of burnt rubber so I thought it best to stop using it.

I quite like the idea of the Gtech AirRam, but don't know anyone who has one, and they are quite expensive.

ffox
Pro

@shutter wrote:

Just seen the advert on the telly for the latest DYSON vacuum cleaner.. ( won`t taint the original name )

....all that will set you ( suckers) back THREE HUNDRED AND FIFTY QUID... You do get a penny change though... !

That isn't the latest one - how about this:

DysonV11.JPG

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@ffox   wow... that is really obscene...  remember when you could buy a mini for that price... come to think of it , I think my father only paid that much for our 3 bed semi in a cul-de-sac, in Leicester just after the war !  and it was new build then ! ! !  

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

So what else does it do besides picking up dust - a time machine perhaps?

That price for just a suck is bonkers barmy crazy. Crazy3