cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Much? You must be joking! !

Community Veteran
Fixes: 18

How Much? You must be joking! !

Just finished re-doing my website, and came acros this little gem.....
It reminded me of my childhood, when I used to walk to the bakery and buy a freshly baked loaf ( a crusty coburg) for Fourpence ha`penny....I think a sliced loaf was in the future then, but generally that was the price for a loaf of bread....   in todays terms this would now be just under 2p ....    
The price of petrol on the pump is 1/5d  or One shilling and 5 pennies... (one and fivepence) a gallon....    How much?      you must be joking    todays price   7.5p a gallon  YES ! seven and a halfpence a gallon.... not litres..... a whole gallon !... 
Todays bread is well over a pound a loaf, and even a "cheap own brand loaf" at 85p is a staggering 17/-   or seventeen shillings for a loaf.....

I often "revert" to the old shillings an pence, much to the annoyance of "er indoors" .... but get a kick out of it ....
31 REPLIES
jmd
Grafter

Re: How Much? You must be joking! !

well the bread I buy costs £2 per loaf as I choose to eat wheat-free - and am not coeliac so don't get prescription! Sad
Community Veteran

Quote from: jmd
£2 per loaf

What a coincidence that's the same as the smiley Tax introduced in the budget, shutter's post is going to cost him £48.
Community Veteran

Sorry to disappoint you,  but I am exempt from all tax,  Roll eyes  as I don`t have any money left from last years budget.... Grin  Grin  Grin
Running on empty.... Cry
Community Veteran

[me=Be3G]points the accused to this...[/me]
Community Veteran

Quote from: Be3G

Happy now?
nadger
Rising Star

I can remember buying 4 gallons for a £1 - got to tank up car on Monday for Tuesdays daytrip to France/Belgium and I dread to think how much Sad
Agreed one shouldn't convert back to the days of real money but 5 bob for one vine tomato Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

Me too I always bought a pounds worth - funny thing is that a gallon of petrol was about the same price as 20 cigarettes - and I think (don't smake so can't be sure) it still is.
nadger
Rising Star

I think that 20 cigs are dearer that a gallon of fuel these days.
Not smoked for 20 years ( last month) but SWMBO still does so hence trip to Belgium.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

Just popped over to my local village shop and 20 Benson and Hedges is £5.55 and petrol is presently about £1.07 per litre or £4.85 per gallon
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
Quote from: Be3G

Happy now?

Fixed one breach of the rules and breached another! Use of Quotes  Roll eyes
Chilly
Community Veteran

Happy now?

I wasn't telling you off or telling you to change anything - I was just pointing you to a piece of information. Tongue
Fixes: 123

I used to leave junior school in the afternoon and run down to the baker's for a penny loaf, white or brown. It was a miniature size loaf probably about a fifth size but perfectly proportioned and delicious.
I could easily afford it because I had recently started a paper round and earned £1 and 1 shilling for seven mornings including the Sunday papers, six evenings plus an extra Saturday evening round with the Green 'un.
The Sunday papers were often a double trip because of the weight even with two bags on my bike.

Customer and Forum Moderator.

To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Community Veteran

use of quotes.  I used the full quote on that occasion as I was correcting my initial error by removing all the smileys, and as I usually find that someone else has posted before my reply.  I have been admonished by PJ for my bad conduct on the forum so consider the matter now closed
Fixes: 123

someone else has posted before my reply.

I've just walked into a courtroom where a trial is in progress and I've been told off by the accused. Embarrassed

Customer and Forum Moderator.

To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine