cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Much? You must be joking! !

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

How Much? You must be joking! !

Just finished re-doing my website, and came acros this little gem.....
It reminded me of my childhood, when I used to walk to the bakery and buy a freshly baked loaf ( a crusty coburg) for Fourpence ha`penny....I think a sliced loaf was in the future then, but generally that was the price for a loaf of bread....   in todays terms this would now be just under 2p ....    
The price of petrol on the pump is 1/5d  or One shilling and 5 pennies... (one and fivepence) a gallon....    How much?      you must be joking    todays price   7.5p a gallon  YES ! seven and a halfpence a gallon.... not litres..... a whole gallon !... 
Todays bread is well over a pound a loaf, and even a "cheap own brand loaf" at 85p is a staggering 17/-   or seventeen shillings for a loaf.....

I often "revert" to the old shillings an pence, much to the annoyance of "er indoors" .... but get a kick out of it ....
31 REPLIES
jmd
Grafter

Re: How Much? You must be joking! !

well the bread I buy costs £2 per loaf as I choose to eat wheat-free - and am not coeliac so don't get prescription! Sad
Community Veteran

Quote from: jmd
£2 per loaf

What a coincidence that's the same as the smiley Tax introduced in the budget, shutter's post is going to cost him £48.
Community Veteran

Sorry to disappoint you,  but I am exempt from all tax,  Roll eyes  as I don`t have any money left from last years budget.... Grin  Grin  Grin
Running on empty.... Cry
Community Veteran

[me=Be3G]points the accused to this...[/me]
Community Veteran

Quote from: Be3G

Happy now?
nadger
Rising Star

I can remember buying 4 gallons for a £1 - got to tank up car on Monday for Tuesdays daytrip to France/Belgium and I dread to think how much Sad
Agreed one shouldn't convert back to the days of real money but 5 bob for one vine tomato Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Me too I always bought a pounds worth - funny thing is that a gallon of petrol was about the same price as 20 cigarettes - and I think (don't smake so can't be sure) it still is.
nadger
Rising Star

I think that 20 cigs are dearer that a gallon of fuel these days.
Not smoked for 20 years ( last month) but SWMBO still does so hence trip to Belgium.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Just popped over to my local village shop and 20 Benson and Hedges is £5.55 and petrol is presently about £1.07 per litre or £4.85 per gallon
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
Quote from: Be3G

Happy now?

Fixed one breach of the rules and breached another! Use of Quotes  Roll eyes
Chilly
Community Veteran

Happy now?

I wasn't telling you off or telling you to change anything - I was just pointing you to a piece of information. Tongue
Fixes: 47

I used to leave junior school in the afternoon and run down to the baker's for a penny loaf, white or brown. It was a miniature size loaf probably about a fifth size but perfectly proportioned and delicious.
I could easily afford it because I had recently started a paper round and earned £1 and 1 shilling for seven mornings including the Sunday papers, six evenings plus an extra Saturday evening round with the Green 'un.
The Sunday papers were often a double trip because of the weight even with two bags on my bike.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

use of quotes.  I used the full quote on that occasion as I was correcting my initial error by removing all the smileys, and as I usually find that someone else has posted before my reply.  I have been admonished by PJ for my bad conduct on the forum so consider the matter now closed
Fixes: 47

someone else has posted before my reply.

I've just walked into a courtroom where a trial is in progress and I've been told off by the accused. Embarrassed
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation