cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Long Have You Owned A Car?

Community Veteran

How Long Have You Owned A Car?

How long have you owned a carHuh
Mr. Allen Swift (Springfield, MA.) received this 1928 Rolls-Royce Picadilly P1 Roadster from his father, brand new - as a graduation gift in 1928.  He drove it up until his death last year.....at the age of 102 !!!
He was the oldest living owner of a car from new.
He donated it to a Springfield museum after his death.
It has 170,000 miles on it, still runs like a Swiss watch, dead silent at any speed and
is in perfect cosmetic condition. (82 years)
16 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: How Long Have You Owned A Car?

A mere 50 years since I got an Austin A35 - won't count BMW Isetta Bubble Car Cool
pierre_pierre
Grafter

beat you  first transport 1958, a Ford 100E Van brant new £300
Denzil
Grafter

And I thought I had done well with my Land Rover! A mere 39 years old and owned for the last 17.
cajef
Grafter

First of many cars was a Hillman Minx, Reg. 860 BTJ bought for £320 in 1962.
Community Veteran

I've owned a car… never. Public transport for me. Smiley I don't think I'll ever learn to drive either… I enjoy using public transport as it means I can ‘switch off’, think about or do whatever I want (within reason of course) rather than having to carefully manoeuvre a large lump of metal around without hurting anyone. I have nothing against those who do drive though… seeing as that is, of course, much of the population.
Denzil
Grafter

I'd love to be able to use public transport more, but living in the sticks in West Cornwall as I do, it is not a practical option.
Community Veteran

My first car was a Singer Gazelle which I bought for £250 in 1959 I think Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

First vehicle was a  second hand mini van for £100 that had seen better days (Purchased 1957)
Most of my mates thought it was c***  but it saved me the usual 7 mile cycle ride to work which was ok in good weather but not in the middle of winter.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Denzil
I'd love to be able to use public transport more, but living in the sticks in West Cornwall as I do, it is not a practical option.

Understandable – as I live in London the options are somewhat more usable. I remember always being a bit annoyed that the last bus from Hayle Towans was at about 6pm even in the height of summer, thereby necessitating a long walk along a road which, being of the country variety, didn't even have a pavement for half of the way. Nice place, though.
jmd
Grafter

My first car was a new Fiat 126 in 1978 that cost £1,400.............................. great for parking but hopeless for overtaking - especially on hills! Roll eyes
so then I went from little to awkward - an Austin Allegro! Sad
john50
Grafter

Quote from: jmdlp

so then I went from little to awkward - an Austin Allegro! Sad

I taught my ex wife to drive in a Austin Maxi
She took her test in it and at the end the examiner turned round and said "If you can drive one of these you can drive any ruddy thing"
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I didn't start driving until quite late in my late 20's. My first was in 1973 with a s/h Ford Zodiac 2.5 straight six, column 3 speed change. The clutch let me down 100 miles from home...nuff said!! A short period of lusting after a Sunbeam Rapier was quickly followed by 16 years of company vehicles, during which time my Dad died and I got his almost new Cortina Mk3 and a half (M registered) (er! Mk3 and a half -so called- for those curious, was a Mk3 body with the proposed much nicer dash and interior layout of the Mk4) This was p/x'd after about a year of virtually no use for a Triumph Toledo 1300 (Tilly we called it) for SHMBO to drive as she didn't like the Cortina.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 47

About 8 years is my record so he's beaten me by a few years Shocked
Quote from: artmo
He donated it to a Springfield museum after his death.

Would that have been via a séance Wink...sorry Artmo couldn't resist Embarrassed
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
magnetism2772
Grafter

Now I just keep a car for 12 months
that is when  it requires an mot and a service
and lately Its cheaper for me  to just buy another  used car