cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Do Some Shops Survive?

Community Veteran

How Do Some Shops Survive?

I know I said some shops but the shop I have in mind is Debenhams.
So I had one of the Debenhams £5 vouchers that they seem to have given to everybody so I nipped up there Sunday morning (free parking) to see what I could get. For a fiver I thought pants or socks, no remote chance (£7-£12). Some small kitchen utensils, no where near it (£7-£10). In the end all that fiver would get me was a packet of gold chocolate coins and a small tub of jelly beans.
I'm pretty sure I could have bought that pair of items for a quarter of the price in many shops. And similar small kitchen utensils can be found in the 99p shop.
I don't think I am that far out of touch with prices. So how does Debenhams continue to exist?
Especially considering that on the Sunday before Christmas there really wasn't that many shoppers on the three floors.
Busy cheap Woolworths gone, tumbleweed expensive Debenhams still going. That puzzles me.
Unless I've completely missed the point and it's a shopping snobbery thing.
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: How Do Some Shops Survive?

My wife ordered a frying pan from them for my Christmas present. It arrived in a bag and was dented.
She organised for it to be collected (which it wasn't) and another sent out which also arrived in a bag and dented - not surprising really.
Having had an argument with a stroppy young lad in customer services, I'm sure she offered to shove it up his bottom but I could have been mistaken .......
We've had the exact same problem with them before - they send out fragile items wrapped in a thin bit of bubble wrap and they get damaged.
Community Veteran

Then there are "pick up items" that common sense say shouldn't be wrapped. Just an order label stuck on should be enough.
I'm talking about large plastic containers of fence paint.
Two out of three times they've arrived for pick up leaking everywhere.
Simply because they wrapped them in so much bubble wrap that meant the lid was unsupported and you couldn't see which way was "up".
That wasn't Debenhams. If they did sell fence paint it would probably be more expensive than the fence.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Debenhams are listed as using Yodel which does not have the best of reputations.
http://saynotoyodel.moonfruit.com/yodels-clients/4564321716
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Our local Debenhams (Scarborough) is a development of the site of what used to be the largest department store in town now it's a mall and Debenhams parent company make more out of shop rentals and operating the car park than actual retail.  Roll eyes
That said because we park there we do check their offering when we want to buy something. I bought a new winter coat there last week  Cool not on price but the style. The experience was OK but it is hard to identify what their image is supposed to be!  Undecided
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

At this time of year it is probably best described as a Shopping Maul.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 104

Quote from: alanf
Debenhams are listed as using Yodel which does not have the best of reputations.

that's wrong, they use Hermes and Royal Mail.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

I don't think Debenham's are doing to badly. I seem to remember they posted good results Wink
Community Veteran

I agree they must be doing something right.
I just can't fathom out what it could possibly be.
Fixes: 104

maybe you should shop there because they pay their taxes and as a result prices are higher Wink
Will Moderate For Thanks